Anti-static

Reaction score
Here's a slightly unusual question...

I use often use old anti-static bags and sponge from mobo boards as a base when I'm tweaking and upgrading stuff, and I alwys use antistatic bags to store spare PCBs, drives, and so on. But, some of these have been around for quite a while in my toolbox - does anyone know if their anti-static qualities wear out or are they permanent?

And ...I just got a pair of antistatic gloves as a freebie with an order - anyone use these? Anyone use an antistatic strap for that matter?
Calling all experts on anti-static out there:confused:

Reaction score
It was always drummed into our heads during our hardware classes that we should use always use an antistatic strap. But I've never used one and I have yet to fry something because of it. It's good practice though.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've always touched the radiator every couple of minutes when ever doing anything inside a PC

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good question that, whether anti-static bags lose their properties or not, I really don't know.

I have a box full of 'em though, always use them for storage.

As for danger from static, I've been handling all kinds of IC's for around twenty years and have yet to fry one through static.

Unless you are experiencing a high build up of static in your body (like when you walk on nylon carpets) it shouldn't be necessary to take precautions. Just brush your hand against a good earth, something like a radiator pipe, and you'll discharge all static from yourself.

Having said that, all those precautions, such as wearing a wrist strap, don't hurt, do they?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response all - I've never worried about static and never had a problem whether i used my anti-static strap or not - I'm always earthing myself on the case anyway...my real question is about storing stuff and using old antistatic bags etc...I wondered if antistatic properies are similar to magnetic ones -i.e. they diminish over time...

Reaction score
I use an anti-static band most of the time when im fiddling with the internals of my PC, i got one cheap from eBuyer for a few quid.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It’s quite simple really ;) ... the 'old' bags were made with permanent antistatic properties, now the newer ones are not ... and the main reason they are not is because of the Environment.

You can distinguish between the old and newer bags ... the newer bags have the 'recycle' logo on them ... Antistatic bags can dry out with time and become huge static generators.

What "time-scale" we are talking here I don't know ... safe to say, don't keep the same bag indefinitely, recycle, and use a new one.

:D

Reaction score
i dont even undersrand what ur asking
ive always been confused on this matter

im fully aware some damage may be caused but ive not used any anti- static stuff as of yet!

Reaction score
psd99 said:
i dont even undersrand what ur asking
ive always been confused on this matter

im fully aware some damage may be caused but ive not used any anti- static stuff as of yet!

Read Muckshifter's reply just before yours m8 - he's given me the answer I was looking for.:)

Thanks Mucks - I've started buying Fair Trade foods so i might as well start recycling my old antistatic bags as well:thumb:;)

Reaction score
Most modern pc parts are in more danger of breaking by dropping or being sat on than they are from static though it doesn't hurt to wear an anti static band if you have one. In my years working on pcs I have probably broken all rules but none of my parts has died. I use generic RAM, cheap PSUs (the one's that come with the case) and if I forget I don't use the anti static strap and all my pcs are working fine.

Reaction score
Totally agree NR...but would you put an expensive vid or mobo in anold antistatic bag....????
Yeah...difficult decision ain't it m8? :):thumb:;) (only kiddin)

Reaction score
If I had an expensive video card or motherboard it wouldn't be hanging around long enough to go into a bag, it would go straight into one of my machines or the customer's machine depending on who paid for it. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I always wear an anti-static strap they cost pennies so its not worth handling components and risking you or the customers hard earned cash over laziness to put one on....

I wonder how many components have failed after a build due to static discharge and have then just been put down to a faulty processor or ram or whatever...and then Rma'd back as D.O.A...

After sometimes not bothering with a strap years ago, i find after years of handling components and getting in the habit of always slipping an Asw on, that i get far less component failures than i used to.....

Or maybe the Manufacturers quality control is getting better....

We will never know..:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
NR117 said:
If I had an expensive video card or motherboard it wouldn't be hanging around long enough to go into a bag, it would go straight into one of my machines or the customer's machine depending on who paid for it. :)

You have a really good point there!:thumb:

Reaction score
Hmm as far as anti staic storage, or antistatic gloves-- have never used either. I just touch the frame of the computer while working on it, wheather its the free hand, or my forearms, something is always touching the frame. Also this only works if its NOT an aluminum case, aluminum is not the best conductor if I remember. Also any new parts I get fopr pc, old parts go in the same bags and boxes that the new part came in. I always figured this was easiest solution, that way when a part goes bad, I still have the original box(so I can send it back to OEM) and the original part.

Ask a Question