Amd Cpu Fsb

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've got a dilemma.

I'm running a cranky Athlon 800 100MHZ FSB at the moment, and they seem to have stopped making the 1.4Ghz (100FSB) version of this chip.

My motherboard is the Abit KT7-Raid, and only supports 100/200FSB chips.

So what I'd like to know is: Will I be able to run the 266FSB 1.4Ghz Athlon on my motherboard at 200FSB settings without unlocking the chip, or do I have to get my trusty old pencil out?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can still get a 200FSB Thunderbird 1.1Ghz from www.redstore.com for £62.76.

They also do a 266FSB Thunderbird 1.4 for £83.80.

As for a 233 chip working in the KT7 RAID, I have one of those boards and ran a 233 1.33Ghz CPU in it for a while, no problems.

I have heard of instances where a 233 chip wouldn't work but apparently that's rare.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Which CPUs does my motherboard support?

This depends on which version of the motherboard you have. Support is as follows:

KT7/KT7-RAID: 100MHz (200MHz DDR) FSB processors only. Fastest processor supported is the Athlon 1400(100) - but it must have locked (disconnected) L1 bridges. AthlonXP processors are not and will not be supported. All Duron and Duron (Morgan core) processors are supported.

KT7E: As for KT7/KT7-RAID although unofficially many users have also succeeded with 133MHz Athlon processors. Although the AthlonXP is not officially supported, several people have told me that they using one without problems.

KT7A/KT7A-RAID versions 1.0 to 1.2: All Athlon (Thunderbird) processors with both 100MHz and 133MHz FSB. AthlonXP processors are not officially supported due to a minor timing problem that can require you to hit reset during a cold boot. Unofficially, however, few people seem to experience this problem and these processors work fine.

KT7A/KT7A-RAID versions 1.3: All Duron, Duron (Morgan core), Athlon (Thunderbird) and AthlonXP processors are supported.
The motherboard version can be identified by the bar coded sticker near the ISA slot. Likewise, according to ABIT technical support the Duron (Morgan core) is only supported on the version 1.3 of the motherboard

All you ever wanted to know about the Abit KT7 and more

:D

Ask a Question