9800 Se mods into 9800 pro

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I heard from a friend that the powercolor 9800 Se can be softmoded to near 9800 levels because the card is identical to a 9800 pro but it has 4 pipelines disabled. I never softmoded anything before but I thought that I would try it and it work perfectly without artifacts. My 3d marks score was 5150 so basically I got a 9800 pro plus several games for 150 bucks. I don’t think this works with other brands because my friend said specifically to buy the powercolor. Here is how to do the softmod…

1) Download the Omega drivers 2.5.22 from omega homepage http://www.omegacorner.com/index_ati.html

2) When you start install the driver, you should pick the option "Soft-Mod 9800SE Omega Driver 9800SE -> 9800 NP/Pro/XT".

3) Actually, it is already unlock the other 4 pipelines when the driver finish installed. However, you cannot really tell from video properties. You should download riva tuner software http://download.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

4) After installed the riva tuner, you can see the 4 pipelines are already unlocked. (You need to responsible for your own risk!)

Good luck moding

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Make sure the card has sufficent cooling though! else it could end up a burnt out reck, or even worse, it could ruin some of your computer components!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I looked into this. it seems legit. and stable. actually if you get the 9800 vs the SE from power color. (9 dollar difference). it actually shows up as a pro. anyone know of any oc'ing potential?

Reaction score
not bad for a 130 dollar card. guess i know what i'm putting in customers computers then.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Since my Geforce 59000Xt (whcich everyone says is a terrible card) got a 3d03 sccore of 5130 which is right behind the 9800. is that bad?

Reaction score
well its not bad in that it will still work fine, but if your asking in comparison to the best out there right now. well your at about half the speed of them. and yes, i believe you can just not sure how much. havent used that card, sorry.

Reaction score
You may be able to softmod, though i dont reccomend it, things could go pear shaped and thats the warranty down the pan...!

Overclock it and see what you get

Reaction score
agreed. oc'ing a lil is one thing, and thats usually for cards that dont come a lil oc'd (as in ultra's or xt's.) and the massive oc'ers are higher end cards that have been "de-tuned".

Reaction score
The whole overclocking debate makes me laugh. I've been lucky with my radeon 9800 pro, with an artic cooler 3 and ram sinks it runs happy as larry at 450Mhz core and 370 Mhz memory. Now a friend went out and got the same card, did the same mods and his card peaked at 420 Mhz and for all my troubles i'm getting my ears chewed off because i fluked a good one.

It's a lottery sometimes u get lucky sometimes u don't, but proper cooling is a must. I've turned all overclocking off on my card, becasue the gains are barely noticeable and i want to preserve my hardware.

Reaction score
... and its usually better to rebuy a new better card thenit is to ruin one you could have used in a spare comp or sold off. as the rule goes, if you dont know it will go, dont push it.... speaking of fagile things...

Reaction score
............I'll never drop a floppy drive onto my radeon again, i was lucky to get away with the last incidient, that shower of sparks brings the memories flooding back. When i were lad, back in the day.......... :p

Ask a Question