20" LCD Monitor... should I?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm one of the biggest advocates of LCD monitors, and I am using a bulky (albeit good) 19" CRT at the moment.

I've found a 16ms 20" Dell LCD monitor for £290+vat, and I'm seriously tempted...

Now, my problem is that this LCD runs at 1600x768. Will this look too small on a 20" monitor, and make websites look strange (I've tried it on my current monitor, but will I get used to it!)? I could run the LCD monitor at 1024x768 a bit higher, but the LCD wouldn't be as sharp at these non-native resolutions.

Anyone with a big LCD monitor here that can give me advice? I've used 17" ones and they are great, but 20" might be different.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Ian

I run an 18inch 12ms sony Lcd panel and i must say the quality is superb i run it at a non native resolution of 1280by1024 and it is still fabulous.

Although 1600 by 768 might come up a little too hard on the eyes, most dell's are usually good quality so you could probably still come down off it's native resolution.:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Hi Ian

I run an 18inch 12ms sony Lcd panel and i must say the quality is superb i run it at a non native resolution of 1280by1024 and it is still fabulous.

Although 1600 by 768 might come up a little too hard on the eyes, most dell's are usually good quality so you could probably still come down off it's native resolution.:)
So its perfectly acceptable at non-native resolution? Excellent :)

I'm very much tempted by a single 20" LCD now that I have a chance to get one. Its much more expensive than I'd like, but very, very tempting - and I haven't bought anything for ages!

It would be great at 1600x1200 gaming, and I'd use it at 1280x1024 in Windows I think.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looks like you've bought it already ian, talked yourself into it eh, thats normally what i end up doing when i see something i fancy.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

Don't think I am supporting Becky but I do warn you that you should serious check the unit before you buy, the native resolution on that Dell is sweet but in the long run not very good for the eyes, besides, using the monitor in non-native resolution does not make sense as you loose out on quality, some are better some are not.

Just thought I'd give you my opinion as well even though you may not be thrilled with it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Looks like you've bought it already ian, talked yourself into it eh, thats normally what i end up doing when i see something i fancy.
I'm very very tempted by it, but I don't think I can risk it! I would like it though!

Quadophile said:
Ian,

Don't think I am supporting Becky but I do warn you that you should serious check the unit before you buy, the native resolution on that Dell is sweet but in the long run not very good for the eyes, besides, using the monitor in non-native resolution does not make sense as you loose out on quality, some are better some are not.

Just thought I'd give you my opinion as well even though you may not be thrilled with it.
I know it makes sense, but 20" is so big for an LCD :D ;) I was very sure about getting it at the weekend, but each hour I think it doesn't make sense.

I don't think I've actually bought anything for my PC for well over a year, apart from an ink cartridge! :D

Ask a Question