19inch TFT needed, tite budget

Reaction score
Hello there
Right i'm looking to get rid of my old old old 8 year old Packard Bell 15inch screen (14.1 visible inch screen)
AT LAST! the thing is so old that when I turn it on it takes 5 mins for me to work out whats written on screen!

Im specifically looking for a TFT 19i nches would be ideal, but a 17inch will also be good.
My price limit is £250, ive had a little butchers but its come to my attention that im needing more money for a decent 19incher.

DVI would be ideal, resolutution? 1024 by 786 at the very least. Brands? Sony, Relisys, AOC I hear are good there are probably more around also.
Do not really know what else I want.

I have done a lot of upgrades in the last couple of years, but this one is definetly the Roast Potatoes with gravy on a cold and damp Sunday Afternoon Crew!! :)
Just wondering if you lot could give me some suggestions please.
Prehaps one of you has brought a screen of this calibre and would reccomend theirs? or warn me of a company?

Either way it would be nice of you to share and air your views on this delicate matter.

Thank you for reading this.
PSD99

Reaction score
i have my main pc on 1280x1024, that is a 17" TFT

I would reccoment that for a 19" minimum...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Novatech have a 19inch TFT for £269, 1280 x 1024 res - doesn't list DVI in the spec, but one of the reviews mentions hooking it up with a DVI cable.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-TFT19S

They have a load of other TFTs for sale, including a couple of 17inch Sonys with DVI within your price range.

I have bought components from them before , and have always been good to deal with. :thumb:

Reaction score
cheers guys

had a butchers at that site
dont look alf bad like.

but like its novatech?
wat do u think of them

ive heard of them

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As I've said, I've bought from them before - arrive within 3 days, and never had a problem.

Assuming the reviews posted on the site are genuine, then their monitors seem pretty good - and they come with a 3 year on-site warranty.

They got PC Pro readers 'on-line vendor of the year' award in 2004 - for what thats worth!

Reaction score
yes it looks good

ive always been one of those geezas that likes banded stuff ie adidas, nike or reebok! and sony, panasonic or JVC

never really taken a risk with electronics and unknown brand names
but mst admit that monitor looks alrite but but the only thing is theres no DVI surely i will see a difference with DVI!?

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Do you like Acer PSD?

yes i have heard of them

they are the company with Acer written in blue right? if so yes they seem alrite.

Reaction score
here it is...

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/monitorsanddisplays/productView.htm?quicklinx=3ld3&mc=6

it has been reduced, ant the prive may go up soon (i dont know how much too)

The dynamic response rate of only 12ms means that you can create picture perfect video playback and enjoy the best quality picture of action packed digital movies.
Enlarge your viewing area with the AL1715ms, which protects you and your investment via the integrated prevention against eye-strain or headaches.
The high contrast ratio of 450:1 alongside the optimal levels of brightness enhances the legability even for data intensive or colourful multimedia applications.
The flicker free and ultra bright picture eliminates distortion and secures a quality view.
Featuring image smoothing and colour scaling with automatic adjustments for quick and easy personalisation of view, according to work needs.
The slim but conservative 17" TFT reduces operation costs with low power requirements and eliminated emissions.
Upgrading your PC system with the AL1715ms, a reliable solution to render the ergonomical benefits of LCD technology. The slim and compact silver design liberates the workplace transforming the computing area into a modern work or entertainment area. The AL1715ms is the ideal solution for the home or office PC users requiring a smart interface with rapid response time for the best in digital playback and digital movies.

Display size
17", 338 X 270mm

Display Type
TFT (thin film transistor) active matrix

Resolution
1280 X 1024

Brightness
270 cd/m2

Color
16.7M colors, RGB 8-bit data

Pixel pitch
0.264 x 0.264 mm

Pixel clock
135MHz

Display Area (H x W )
338 x 270 mm

Contrast Ratio
450:1

Response rate
12ms

Horizontal frequency
31.5 ~ 80KHz

Vertical frequnecy
56.3 ~ 75Hz

Horizontal viewing angle
150°

Vertical viewing Angle
135°

Backlight
4 Lamps

Video signal
Analog (D-sub)

Input Connector
15-pin D-Sub,

Speakers
2X1W

Tilt base rotation
Tilt: -5° to + 20°

Wall-mount
VESA wall-mount (no parts included)

Front panel controls
Contrast, Brightness, H-Position, V-Position, Pixel Adjust, Recall Defaults, Auto Adjust, Clock, 5 Languages, OSD Position, Information, YUV Adjustment,Color Balance

Dimension(H x W x D)
377 x 396 x 182

Net Weight
4.3 kg

Power Saving
VESA DPMS standard

Power Consumption
On:40W Off: 2W

AC Adaptor
AC 100V - AC 240V

Plug & Play
VESA DDC2B

Compliance & Approvals
ISO 13406-2, UL, EN60950, EN - 55022, MPR 1990, CSA, CB, TUV-GS, FCC-B, CE, TCO'99

Chasis Color
Silver and Black

KGB

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I've got that Acer as well and its pretty good - but no DVI though. Not had a problem with it, but I've read a few stories about poor customer service regarding their laptops.....

I think your going to struggle to get a 'big brand' name 19" TFT for £250, but that Sony 17" with DVI you mentioned from Novatech seems OK.

Being a fashion victim and sticking with 'big name brands' is great - but remember you can sometimes get better value for money elseware. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. AL1715MS 17" TFT Display Silver
£147.99 inc VAT (£125.95 ex VAT) WITHOUT DVI

2 SONY 17" TFT LCD S series with digital input in silver £238.89 WITH DVI

thanks for ur repliy lads.

yes out of these two i see two main difference one the price and two the DVI output is only on the Sony

do u think its worth the £90 extra on the Sony just for DVI? do u think i will notice a great difference between DVI and normal analogue?

Reaction score
cheers that seems pretty good value for money!

so last question do u think ill notice a lot of difference between 17iinches and 19 inches?