19" Monitor shopping

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just got me's a nice Hercules ATI Radeon 8500 128MB DDR Video Card and thought maybe I might treat myself to a new 19" Monitor better able to make the most of it. My Iiyama 19" 1451 is bottom of the range and doesn't really make the most of my new card.

After studying tons of reviews and specs, I settled on the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454. I quite fancied the Sony G420 but that was a bit too expensive.

Anyways, I went shopping around and for your interest, below are the current prices from several different UK suppliers. All prices include VAT & shipping costs.

Global Direct - £343.63
Simply Computers - £327.83
Redstore - £323.12
Dabs - £320.78
CCL - £303.90
Scan - £301.98
E-Buyer - £297.84

Quite a big difference eh? I've bought a fair bit of stuff from e-buyer over the last couple of years, in fact just put a system together for my sister from them.

So guess who gets my credit card number? ;)

PS: Of course, if anybody knows anywhere cheaper, give us a shout eh? :D

Reaction score
Why don't you check out the NEC Multisync FE950+. I love mine. Oh, and isn't that video card a bit outdated (anxious to get my 9700). :D

Can't help you out with retailers since I'm not in the UK and don't really follow that kind of stuff, though. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is the Radeon 9700 available in the UK yet? Nope. Then, for now, the 8500 isn't outdated, is it?:roll:

Besides, over here the cheapest I could find that card is £272.00. A guy on another Forum was kind enough to post one to me from Austin, Tx. He bought it from NewEgg for $129.00 and the whole deal with currency conversion and shipping etc cost me £134.00. Now that's what I call a deal :)

I'm very happy with me new vid card, as far as I'm concerned, I'm all set up for UT3 and Doom3 and that's good enough for me. There's something not quite right in paying more for a Video Card than the combined cost of a CPU and Motherboard, IMO.

Funnily enough, the NEC FE950+ was my second choice of Monitor. I've just bought the 17" version of that for my sister and it's really very good. And the thing that almost made me go for it was it comes in black - it really looks cool.

However, the Iiyama 454 has better refresh/res rates, a USB hub and a switchable dual VGA input. And in every review I read the Iiyama came ahead of the NEC. I must admit I'm still a little undecided though, I do like that Black finish, when XP starts up, there's a completely black background - love it :)

The best review I found was at Tom's Hardware, btw, here>> 19" Monitor Reviews

Reaction score
I know of a website where you can get the 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 a little cheaper. The site is www.cclcomputers.co.uk and it offers that monitor for £219.00, (£257.33 Including VAT at 17.5%).

However email them before hand as they are ofeten keen to "do a deal". Hope that helps :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
top_banana:

My last post in this thread is around 16 months old, prices do change, you know ;)

And I'm aware of CCL, distinctly average, in my opinion, through my experiences with them.

Well, the Iiyama Pro 454 is still going strong, as is my Iiyama Pro 514.

A trip down memory lane, hehe :)

Ask a Question