16 bit application

Sid Price

I have a 16 bit application that I must run under XP Pro. It uses serial
communications and that is what does not appear to work. I have tried the
compatibility settings but so far I can not get it to run reliably.

Any pointers would be most welcome,
Sid.

george

If this 16-bit application is trying to directly communicate with the serial
port, you're out of luck.
XP won't allow (from an architectural point of view) any user application
(or piece thereof) to directly communicate with hardware components. Where
win9x might have been 'forgiving' in the past, not so XP.
You'll have to see if this app is available for XP.
Bummer, ain't it.

:-((
george

Sid Price

It uses the serial driver to communicate and not directly to the port. I
have a friend who has it running on his XP machine but we can't figure out
why it won't run on mine.

There is no XP version.

Sid.

george

different serial port driver?
probably not, most of the time it's microsoft.
*ALL* settings identical?
worst case, defective serial port (been known to happen)
I know, not much help, just some thoughts

george

Feng Mao

Hi Sid,

Thank you for posting!

I searched the Microsoft Knowledge base articles, and I found the below two
articles might be helpful to solve your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314452
314452 "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=254914
254914 Virtual Device Driver Error Message in 16-Bit MS-DOS Subsystem

I hope that the above information is helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Sid Price" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: 16 bit application
| Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:24:30 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| It uses the serial driver to communicate and not directly to the port. I
| have a friend who has it running on his XP machine but we can't figure out
| why it won't run on mine.
|
| There is no XP version.
|
| Sid.
|
| --
| Sid Price's Software Tools.
| http://www.Softtools.com
|
| | > If this 16-bit application is trying to directly communicate with the
| serial
| > port, you're out of luck.
| > XP won't allow (from an architectural point of view) any user
application
| > (or piece thereof) to directly communicate with hardware components.
Where
| > win9x might have been 'forgiving' in the past, not so XP.
| > You'll have to see if this app is available for XP.
| > Bummer, ain't it.
| >
| > :-((
| > george

| > > communications and that is what does not appear to work. I have tried
| the
| > > compatibility settings but so far I can not get it to run reliably.
| > >
| > > Any pointers would be most welcome,
| > > Sid.
| > >
| > > --
| > > Sid Price's Software Tools.
| > > http://www.Softtools.com

Microsoft Gump XP

"george" <[email protected]> asked "what's the sound
of one hand clapping?", and I said it's a bit like this:

XP won't allow (from an architectural point of view) any user application
(or piece thereof) to directly communicate with hardware components.

That's interesting. Why?

- Dave -
- Remove 123456 to email -
- Ich Bin Ein Irelander -

Alex Nichol

Sid said:
I have a 16 bit application that I must run under XP Pro. It uses serial
communications and that is what does not appear to work. I have tried the
compatibility settings but so far I can not get it to run reliably.

Drivers for such things, unfortunately, all too often used methods of
handling the hardware of the port directly which XP will plain reject.
At some point, if the authors are going to do nothing, you have to move
on to a proper modern 32 bit version.

Highlandish

Quoth The Raven "Sid Price said:
I have a 16 bit application that I must run under XP Pro. It uses
serial communications and that is what does not appear to work. I
have tried the compatibility settings but so far I can not get it to
run reliably.

Any pointers would be most welcome,
Sid.

google for USERPORT, its a 12KB app that allows coms to serial ports via
apps. it works for data cable on mobile phones, it might work for yours