£££ British Pounds £££

Reaction score
ive always wondered about this

im very interested in money i mean who isnt?

heres what ive been looking closely at last couple of months
everyone deals british notes here, if i showed u a picture of some people i bet u woulndt know who or where u have seen them before but yet u see it every day!!!!
obvioulsy on each legal tender we have the queens head.
but there are other people on the back:

Old £5 this had George Stephenson on the back but this note expired on the 21st november 2003.
NEW £5, this has a picture of Elizabeth Fry
ive had a search around on the net for this women, it appears that she was a teacher
and she has something to do with QUAKERS, some sort of group of friends.
does anyone knw why her picture is on our fivers?

£10 this has a picture of Charles Darwin
obvsiosly this guy is well known all i know is he created the evolution theory!
something like that dont quote me. so i kind of understand why he is on our notes. but is was he
British?

£20 this has a picture of Sir Edward Elgan
now this bloke is a complete mystry to me.
ive tried looking on the net. ive asked around
none seems to know who or what this gentlemen did!
this is one of the mystries, can anyone shed any light on this?

£50 LOL this one really makes me laugh,
i cant seem to read the writing but its some bloke called HOBSON or something like that! possibly a judge in the old days?
no idea if thats right can someone check to see what the blokes name is on the back of a £50 note
doesnt he half look v scary!

I think its on the £20 there is a picture of the west view of the Cathedral of Worcester!
does anyone live there?

What is everyones thoughts on this matter!?
do u feel intreged?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
psd99 said:
£20 this has a picture of Sir Edward Elgan
now this bloke is a complete mystry to me.
ive tried looking on the net. ive asked around
none seems to know who or what this gentlemen did!
this is one of the mystries, can anyone shed any light on this?

I can help you with this one - it's Edward Elgar, one of Britain's most famous composers (you'd definitely recognise Pomp and Circumstance - think Last Night of the Proms)

And Darwin was definitely British

Click here for more

:D

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
just had a look and found an interesting site all about Elizabeth Fry, she did quite a lot of work on the way women prisoners were treated and did a lot of charity work, she was also mates with queen victoria which is probably part of the reason shes on there

charles darwin if i remember correctly was english, thats all i know

Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
I can help you with this one - it's Edward Elgar, one of Britain's most famous composers (you'd definitely recognise Pomp and Circumstance - think Last Night of the Proms)

And Darwin was definitely British

Click here for more

:D

brilliant,
thanks i tried typing his name in google,
but obv ive read it wrong!
making a bit more sense now

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
On that subject PSD I once went for Interview at the Bank of England Printing works in Langston road, Loughton, Essex...And whilst waiting in the Main Hall I was looking at all the different Banknotes that had ever been produced as they were framed and mounted on the walls....But to my amazement i looked up and saw a rather large Banknote about 18" by 10" in dimension in a large frame this particular note was very special indeed as the Queen had signed the note personally.....

This Note was for £1,000,000 and is completely legal tender, you could spend this money and it wouldn't be in any way Illegal... Mind you I wouldn't want to pop down to the local newsagents for a paper and some crisps and then ask the shopkeeper (you got change of a million mate)...

Obviously it is Legal tender but you could never spend it as theres only one and it is unique...

Just thought i would share that with you all and hope you don't mind...

Isn't money a fascinating subject....;)

Reaction score
How good is OZ money, its plastic which means you can swim with it and can't rip it. Its great, remember when you go on holiday to spain (or wherever) with your swimming trunk pocket full of euros and jump into the pool without taking the money out!! Its always crap when you have to pay the man at the bar with a soaking wet note!!

Reaction score
£50

FYI

The portrait on the back of the £50 note is Sir John Houblon; the first governor of the Bank of England.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
money money money....

'It's my round but I'm skint so I'm going now unless you can lend me twenty quid til next Friday...'

money money money....

'there's a small scratch on the base so will you take a tenner for it?'

money money money...

and I haven't even had a drink yet :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I was surprised folks haven't heard of Charles Darwin.

Of course there's Darwin's theory and then there's the God theory.

But let's not go there :D

What do they teach in schools these days?

Well, um, how to read and write, how to get a job but never how to start a company, how we nicked all the Tea from India, how we enslaved everybody who wasn't British and how we were thoroughly nasty persons so we better feel really ashamed of ourselves now.

Oh hang on, wait, nope, that was Sunday Schoool, wasn't it?

I am of course, joking, please don't take me seriously, I'm really not that cynical ;)

Reaction score
haha I went to sunday school. Spent 4 years of life colouring in pictures of Jesus. Who for some obscure reason was white, and always wore purple. I'm sure he must have had a more extensive wardrobe surely? :D

Not quite sure how you cannot know of Darwin. And yes he most definately was English. In 5 years he revolutionised the very core beliefs of mankind, and challenged the very foundations of nearly all modern civilisation.

Fairly important methinks... ;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yep, have to say we've even heard of Darwin down here... & we've got plastic money. Hated the idea... but turned out to be really cool.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
I think its on the £20 there is a picture of the west view of the Cathedral of Worcester!
does anyone live there?

I believe Elgar was born in Worcester. Hence the picture of the Cathedral.

Ask a Question