Zorin 64bit Ultimate

Reaction score
:blush:I have just come across Zorin 64bit Ultimate, What is the opinion of you Penguin people of this distro. I am determined to leave the bank thief Microsoft but need something complete as I am a dunce on software.:confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I have just done some testing of different distros.

Zorin
Mint Cinnamon
Makulu Mate

All of them ran perfectly well from a usb. They all picked up wireless and wired connections and ran you tube vids with sound out of the box.

However on an install to a hdd,

Zorin wanted me to join Ubuntu and after I did it would not let me update the system. So that was a fail .

Mint Cinnamon would not connect to a wireless for some reason, So that was a fail.

Makulu Mate installed and ran 100% otb, So that was a pass. Looks great , runs fine and is based on Debian. So I would recommend Makulu Mate.

http://www.makululinux.com/mate.htm

I could of course have been swayed by the nice wallpapers. Give any of the above a go from a cd or usb before trying a full install and you may be pleasantly surprised.

:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/easy2boot-very-neat-tool-t4063579.html

You might find the above of some use if you have decent broadband downloading limits.The E2B tool is easy to set up and adding and deleting distros is easy.
Looking at several distros gives you an opportunity to play with different desktops and window managers. A plus to running of a live cd or usb is that you get to see if the distro plays nicely with your hardware with little effort.
When changing os's whether it is a new Windows or a linux you will have to do some reading up and there is always a learning curve. Personally I think the linux learning curve is a lot easier than with Windows.

Enjoy playing. :D

Reaction score
:cry:I am writing this at 02.02hrs I have had a hell of a time with Zorin. First I was not able to log into my ISP to get into my Emails any it ended up with me eventually having enough and removing it from my hard drive. Oh dear now I have problems after carrying out a re format I now get a error message "error:unknown filesystem. grub rescue. I have then tried to run Windows 7 install got same message tried Windows 7 repair disc thought that had solved the problem but halfway through the W7 Download I get a error message *The file or directory:\ is corrupt, please run the chkdisc utility. I am really geed off and frustrated at this moment of time and off to bed. After spending the last 3 days trying to set up Zorin with no success as well as walking the poor old dogs and the housework and as advertised by Zorin that it works like and looks like Windows they need shooting. I should have dual booted but clever me thought I knew what I was doing. Any advice out there would be very much appreciated. The most annoying thing is that I have lost touch with my emails and are expecting friends to contact me about my birthday party so we have numbers for catering etc. Bugger bugger DAM sod Linux

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You have got in a bit of a pickle :D

I do not know which e-mail provider you are using but you should be able to access it from any linux live cd/usb. Which should resolve that problem easily.

I assume that you tried to install Zorin to the whole hdd/ssd.

If that is the case you need to use a live cd/usb which has the program "GPARTED" included.

Using gparted you should choose to delete all the partitons and apply the changes. Then choose to reformat the entire drive to "ntfs" if you want to reinstall Windows 7 and apply the changes. Once that is done you need to apply the "boot" "FLAG".
Or,
If you want to try another linux, I suggest Makulu Mate or Mint Cinnamon. Using gparted you should choose to delete all the partitons and apply the changes. Then choose to reformat the entire drive to "ext4" and apply the changes. Once that is done you need to apply the "boot" "FLAG".

Either method should solve the problem and let you do an install of the os of choice.

Hope that helps.

I do not know why you had problems setting up Zorin as it worked otb as a livecd/usb for me on several different pc's and worked otb as a full install I did recently.
By working I mean I could get a internet connection with a cable connection and was able to access the internet with no problems otb.

See my previous posts on testing distros with live cd/usb's to make sure the distro is compatible with your hardware before a full install.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
:blush:I have just come across Zorin 64bit Ultimate, What is the opinion of you Penguin people of this distro. I am determined to leave the bank thief Microsoft but need something complete as I am a dunce on software.:confused:

I'd say that before you think a Linux Distro can be a substitute for Windows make an exhaustive list of what your software does in your existing Windows installation.

Then, as the barbaric one has recommended, run a distro Live and determine it will do all you want it to do before making a permanent installation.

Remember that if you can't make one function work, such as your email client, look for a solution on the internet, there are lots of very helpful people out there who want you to succeed with Linux.

Accept that at some stage you are going to have to open a Console (text box) within Linux and type in what looks to be a complicated string of characters to make something work. This is mostly just a case of cut and paste, you don't neccessarily have to become a programming whiz.

Realise there are reasons Windows and Apple software costs money and domestic Linux Distros are free, personally speaking I have yet to find a Linux Distro that can do everything I can do in Win 7, and that's ignoring games, it's pretty much a given that the majority of PC games won't work in Linux, though that situation's improving.

Having said that, most Linux distros do 90% of stuff I want them to.

A typical software list might be something like this:

Surf Net
Office word
Office spreadsheet
Office database
Office presentation
Office Publishing
Office web page composition
Photo viewing and editing
Video viewing and editing
Video capture
Music playback and editing
Music recording
Computer hardware and software diagnostics
Email facilities
Scanner software
Camera software
Printer support
Mouse software
Keyboard software
Video and Music file format conversion software
Burning software including the facility to burn different video file formats to a usable DVD

And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'd think of more.

My favourite for ease of use so far has been Mint 16, must admit I haven't tried anything wireless with it and have been too lazy to try and setup my scanner in it. But it does most else, including e-mail.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have just set up a mate with Mint Cinnamon on a usb with persistence to use in his lap top an old Dell D520.Was pretty impressed with it, nippy and neat. though the wireless did not work otb though I recon it only needed a minor tweak to do so.Quite impressed.:D

Best distro I have found lately is Makulu Mate version. comes with preinstalled, Wine, Play on Linux and Wine scripts for Windows programs, though I have not tried out installing any Windows programs with these tools.Everything else wireless included worked otb.Very impressed. :thumb:

Flops's advice is spot on. :cool:

Reaction score
:cry:I have given up for the moment, had a paddy now find that 2TB drive don't work had to install a spare drive tried to install W7 it wouldn't have it, had another paddy, went out and got that ghastly W 8.1, still trying to fathom it everything wants a password, not a happy bunny. Don't like W8.1 all I want is a proper start page and find all the tools, it is an abomination. ANYONE want a PC which has been hit several times with a sledge hammer:cry::cry::mad::mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
We need to know your setup here. Is the 2Tb drive an internal drive?

I'm only guessing here but after what it's been through it probably needs formatting and maybe re-partitioning. Those options should be possible during a Windows 7.1 install.

If you MUST use Win 8.1 then install all the updates from Microsoft's site immediately then I suggest you download and install a free piece of software named Classic Shell, it will make navigation around Win 8.1 very much easier.

But need more details if we're to help.

Installing a Linux Distro to dual boot with any Windows OS should not be taken lightly, some research/homework is recommended.

Reaction score
Hi flops, the 2tb hard drive will not boot as the boot writing has been destroyed and so cannot get into it, I have been told that is a fix via the HP web site but have not got into it yet. But I can do with all the help I can get. I did a straight install of Zorin deliting W7 I think that is what has messed up. Thanks fo any help you can give

Reaction score
Oh yes it was an internal drive it was it the C drive I have a D drive with a copy of files I had but is not showing up on My Computer page.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tell us if this is right.

1) You had a 2TB drive as "C" with W7 + a hdd with files as "D"

2) installed Zorin on C over the top of W7

3)Tried to install W7 on C on top of Zorin

4)Took out 2TB hdd

5)Put in replacement hdd and tried to install W7 using new drive as C

6) Installed W8.1 on C

7) Cannot see drive "D" from W8.1

From step 5 to 7 your problems are not linux related.

Are you sure that the cables to D are not loose ? you may have nudged them whilst installing the new drive.

Did you install BOOT to the MBR of the old C or to ROOT ie / when installing Zorin ?
If to the MBR then that may be messed up and is an easy fix.

There are lots of possible causes to your problem.A failing drive. a scratched W7 disk.Failing coms battery. Failing psu or mobo or ram.The list is endless.

You have some functionality so it is not a lost cause and a bit of head scratching and fiddling should sort it out.

:)

Don't know how to remote and don't want to mess up me new W7 install trying as it has taken days to set up. :D

Reaction score
:rolleyes:Well here I am again fed with Microcrap and thinking of installing Zorin 9 Pro LTS, Well this time I am going to take my time. What really gee's me off about Microsoft especially as now retired and on fixed pension and fed up of having to buy distros to keep PC clean and maintained.

So here are a few questions
As a little paranoid about spyware and Malware will Superantispyware and Malwarebytes run on Zorin ?

Should I do a complete install or a dual boot

If I do a dual boot how many GB should I allow for Zorin My hard drive 1.81 TB and at the moment I have 1.59TB free

Are there any Anti Virus apps for Linux.

Will my pictures and music which I have backups on a spare drive download to Zorin.

I have chosen Zorin 9 Pro LTS as there support until April 2019 and I am able to have in Windows 7 mode and as that is what I am used to I will only have to adjust slightly to the OS .

Any advice gratefully received even if you tell me I am a tosser and should stay with MS:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you dislike Windows so much I wonder why you're bothering with a dual boot? Why not just install a Linux Distro and forget Windows for now? You can always install Windows again if you feel the need.

As for your questions, I don't know any of the answers except that Linux will see your pix and music ok, just the same as with Windows. I don't know the answers to the other questions as I've never felt the need to install AV software within any Linux Distro, Malware and Viruses are quite a rare occurence with Linux.

I've never heard of Zorin but I do know that Mint 17, Debian or Ubuntu based, is a very easy OS for a Windows user to get their head around.

Be aware though that some things just won't work with Linux, apart from many many games that is. You may have trouble getting drivers for printers & scanners, some software won't work in Linux and some hardware won't work within Linux either, my Focuswrite Scarlet i2i Audio Interface isn't seen by Linux for instance.

But Libre Office comes bundled with Mint and it will open and save MS Office Word and Excel files.

You could consider buying a hard disk caddy for your computer and swap different hard disks in and out of the machine, that's what I do. This saves all the worry about having to configure dual booting.

You're not a tosser, there's nowt wrong with wanting to save money and it's also quite noble, imo, to cheat Microsoft of more cash to add to their swelling billions, especially when you consider their track record.

Whatever you decide, good luck with what you end up with and remember - if you have any doubts or need help - ask :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
As a little paranoid about spyware and Malware will Superantispyware and Malwarebytes run on Zorin ?

Yes in Wine. But no need for either of them

Should I do a complete install or a dual boot

Dual boot, or as I said in your other threads. Use one of your spare drives and install Zorin on that and keep your Windows 7 drive safe in case everything goes tits up.

If I do a dual boot how many GB should I allow for Zorin My hard drive 1.81 TB and at the moment I have 1.59TB free

Go half and half

Are there any Anti Virus apps for Linux.

AV is not needed with Linux. But if you are paranoid go to THIS LINK and scroll down the page.

Reaction score
It is not that I dislike Windows 7 infact I quite I quite like it BUT it slows down, needs defragging have to buy many of the add on's and apps just look of the price they want of a OS have you seen the new office 365 all you get is a registration card with a security number and they download the software from their servers and the licence is only for a year and they want £80 or so.

Zorin OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution designed especially for newcomers to Linux. It has a Windows-like graphical user interface and many programs similar to those found in Windows. Zorin OS also comes with an application that lets users run many Windows programs. The distribution's ultimate goal is to provide a Linux alternative to Windows and let Windows users enjoy all the features of Linux without complications. and it comes packed with all the apps a PC user could want.(copied and pasted from Distrowatch)

So I think it will suite me well, I hope

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I've "tried" Linux on several occasions, yeah, right, next!

In Windows 7, Disk Defragmenter runs at regular intervals when your computer is turned on, so you don't have to remember to run it.

Windows

Windows will auto-defrag, or to give it it's proper title, TRIM, an SSD, so no need to bother with that either.

No need to run WINE in windows, it's counter productive.

You need Microsoft Office? (you don't!, no, really, you don't!)

I've never heard of Zorin ... All Linux distributions can have a "similar" Windows' like looks and uses similar software. LibreOffice, springs to mind, you know, that FREE "Office" replacement to Microsoft Office

Linux will not suffer from any Windows virus, Windows will not suffer from any Linux virus ... we won't bother with a Mac, its for when it rains.

Dual boot if you "need" Windows, making sure Linux has it's own drive, or, just bung it on it's own ... whichever way you choose, find a good Linux WebSite when you need the help. :)

Good Luck!

Ask a Question