xrated pop-ups

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Apr 28, 2004.

    how can i stop internet explorer from hijacking my system with pono popups.

    Guest, Apr 28, 2004

  2. HASSA. wrote:
    > how can i stop internet explorer from hijacking my system with pono
    > popups.

    Internet Explorer is not the problem. The problem is how you are using it.

    AdAware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Spybot
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Also, check the following website for more information on known spyware.

    MVP Sandi's Darnit!

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP-Windows Shell/User

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org

    Ronnie Vernon MVP, Apr 28, 2004

    xpchallenged Guest

    have some spyware issues. Get yourself ad-aware, spybot
    search and destroy (even though they're not doing any new
    updating right now - there's a new version in the works)
    and spywareblaster - that will stop the garbage before it
    has a chance to download/hijack, etc. Also make sure
    your av is up to date. Disable your System Restore,
    close all other programs. Run everything - av, then
    spybot, then ad-aware, then spywareblaster. Once the
    adware/spyware/malware is found and cleaned, you can turn
    your System Restore back on.

    xpchallenged, Apr 28, 2004

    Stop visiting porn sites and the porno pop-ups will stop.

    Guest, Apr 28, 2004
  5. Greetings --

    When visiting porn sites, always be careful not to
    download/install their "free" viewers. You'll get more than expected,
    every time. To repair the current situation, uninstall the
    "viewer(s)" provided and then use Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and
    SpyBot Search and Destroy from www.safer-networking.org/ to clean up
    any residue. Both have free versions for personal use.

    You should also try using MSConfig to see if something is being
    started each time you reboot.

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Apr 28, 2004

    Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > Stop visiting porn sites and the porno pop-ups will stop.

    That was pretty useless advice. The original poster needs to clean up
    his/her computer by using spyware removal tools like Spybot Search &
    Destroy from www.safer-networking.org and Ad-aware from
    www.lavasoftusa.com. Be sure to update these programs before running
    them. These programs are free, so run them both since they complement
    each other. It is best to run antivirus and spyware removal tools in
    Safe Mode.

    Also, be sure to have a current (post-2002 version using updated
    definitions) antivirus installed. Porn sites often install keystroke
    loggers and other types of trojans (no pun intended!).

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Apr 28, 2004

    Tony Talmage Guest

    (Sorry, this is OT. Just curious.)

    Malke,

    This might sound like a silly question. I use the whole "antivirus program
    no earlier than 2002" advice a lot, and I notice that many others do as
    well, but I was wondering what the difference might be between older
    antivirus software and more recent; I was just leeching off the advice of
    others, really =) I'm still using NAV 2000, and I don't seem to have any
    problems with it ("do what I say, not what I do" seems to be accurate here).
    No viruses have been found on my computer in ... I would say around 2-3
    years. Should I get something more recent (and free, because I'm
    cheap/poor) like AVG or Avast, or should I stick with NAV 2000?

    --
    Tony Talmage
    Web Developer

    Tony Talmage, Apr 28, 2004

    Malke Guest

    Tony Talmage wrote:

    > (Sorry, this is OT. Just curious.)
    >
    > Malke,
    >
    > This might sound like a silly question. I use the whole "antivirus
    > program no earlier than 2002" advice a lot, and I notice that many
    > others do as well, but I was wondering what the difference might be
    > between older antivirus software and more recent; I was just leeching
    > off the advice of
    > others, really =) I'm still using NAV 2000, and I don't seem to have
    > any problems with it ("do what I say, not what I do" seems to be
    > accurate here). No viruses have been found on my computer in ... I
    > would say around 2-3
    > years. Should I get something more recent (and free, because I'm
    > cheap/poor) like AVG or Avast, or should I stick with NAV 2000?

    Hi, Tony. Well, that brings up a whole NAV has progressively gotten
    suckier tangent. I've used Norton products for years but no longer
    recommend them. With NAV 2004, we're seeing so many issues, bloating,
    conflicts, etc., not to mention their new activation necessity, that I
    wouldn't use it. Re the activation, I understand the whole piracy
    prevention thing, but I have absolutely no faith in Symantec's ability
    to properly manage this.

    That was a bit off the beaten path, but basically there were
    improvements in how NAV handled certain issues in versions later than
    NAV 2000 and I assume other av programs have some improvements over the
    years, too. Some av programs now look for spyware/adware, for instance,
    which is a good thing. My main reason for including this bit in my
    advice is that I can't tell you how many users just buy the computer
    and leave whatever av is on there without updating either the program
    or its definitions *ever*. That includes them just ignoring the "renew
    your subcription" notices, too. So hopefully my saying "post-whatever"
    will make them look at the version they're running. Should you change?
    I can't answer that for you. Why not download some trial versions of
    various av's and see? Only run one at a time, though!

    Cheers,

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Malke wrote:

    > Tony Talmage wrote:
    >

    >>(Sorry, this is OT. Just curious.)
    >>
    >>Malke,
    >>
    >>This might sound like a silly question. I use the whole "antivirus
    >>program no earlier than 2002" advice a lot, and I notice that many
    >>others do as well, but I was wondering what the difference might be
    >>between older antivirus software and more recent; I was just leeching
    >>off the advice of
    >>others, really =) I'm still using NAV 2000, and I don't seem to have
    >>any problems with it ("do what I say, not what I do" seems to be
    >>accurate here). No viruses have been found on my computer in ... I
    >>would say around 2-3
    >>years. Should I get something more recent (and free, because I'm
    >>cheap/poor) like AVG or Avast, or should I stick with NAV 2000?
    >>

    > Hi, Tony. Well, that brings up a whole NAV has progressively gotten
    > suckier tangent. I've used Norton products for years but no longer
    > recommend them. With NAV 2004, we're seeing so many issues, bloating,
    > conflicts, etc., not to mention their new activation necessity, that I
    > wouldn't use it. Re the activation, I understand the whole piracy
    > prevention thing, but I have absolutely no faith in Symantec's ability
    > to properly manage this.
    >
    > That was a bit off the beaten path, but basically there were
    > improvements in how NAV handled certain issues in versions later than
    > NAV 2000 and I assume other av programs have some improvements over the
    > years, too. Some av programs now look for spyware/adware, for instance,
    > which is a good thing. My main reason for including this bit in my
    > advice is that I can't tell you how many users just buy the computer
    > and leave whatever av is on there without updating either the program
    > or its definitions *ever*. That includes them just ignoring the "renew
    > your subcription" notices, too. So hopefully my saying "post-whatever"
    > will make them look at the version they're running. Should you change?
    > I can't answer that for you. Why not download some trial versions of
    > various av's and see? Only run one at a time, though!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Malke

    In addition, over the years I have seen some cases of older a/v engines
    being unable to detect newer threats at all, even with current
    definitions in place. Most strikingly in my experience was the inabilty
    of Command Software Anti-Virus being completely unable to detect the
    Nimda.A worm untill the engine was updated some 4 weeks AFTER our
    district was hit by the worm. Other, older experiences include the dawn
    of the M$ Office Macro viruses - when they started circulating I don't
    think there was any a/v program that could deal with them at all and
    they had to be dealt with manually (deleting Normal.dot, etc.)

    Steve

    Steve Nielsen, Apr 28, 2004