  1. me

    me Guest

    what are the minimum requirements to install xp

    me, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Carey Frisch [MVP], Oct 14, 2004

  3. me

    Ken Blake Guest

    In news:10ef01c4b204$10578140$,
    me <> typed:

    > what are the minimum requirements to install xp

    The official minimum requirements are

    233 MHz processor
    64MB RAM
    1.5 GB HD
    800x600

    but as usual, those specs are nowhere near sufficient to do
    anything useful with it.

    More practical minimums are

    400MHz processor
    256MB RAM
    10GB HD.

    Even there, performance will not be great, but the machine will
    be usable.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, Oct 14, 2004
  4. me

    Al Smith Guest

    > what are the minimum requirements to install xp

    I had it running on a computer with a P2 400MHz processor, with
    128 megabytes of RAM, and a 20 gig hard drive, and it ran just
    fine. No problems of any kind.

    You don't want to go below a P2 in processor speed, and you
    probably need at least 6 gigs of space on your hard drive for a
    comfortable computing experience.

    It will help if you turn off all the bells and whistles in XP
    (i.e., turn off all the useless crap). Set XP to use minimum
    resources, which will put you into the old-style Classic desktop.
    The exception is "font smoothing" which you will want to turn back
    on in order to have nice looking text.

    How anyone can stand to keep the default desktop of XP is beyond
    me, it is so freakin' ugly! I mean, it make Fisher-Price look like
    Bauhaus.

    Al Smith, Oct 14, 2004