    jjb48 Guest

    What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
    do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

    jjb48, Feb 20, 2004

  2. jjb48

    Jack Guest

    It explodes....yes....

    your welcome....

    ---
    2/3/2004

    Jack, Feb 20, 2004

  3. jjb48

    Dave Guest

    "jjb48" <> wrote in message
    news:1339d01c3f7e7$38263540$...
    > What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
    > do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

    absolutely nothing. there is not requirement to register and no time limit.

    Dave, Feb 20, 2004
  4. jjb48

    Mike Kolitz Guest

    Nothing.
    Registration is completely optional.

    Activation, however, is not. If you don't activate within the time limit,
    you'll be locked out of that Windows installation until you activate it.

    --
    Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
    MS-MVP - Windows Setup and Deployment

    Mike Kolitz, Feb 20, 2004
  5. jjb48

    Guest Guest

    XP allows you to use it for a limited time (I've forgotten the ammount) without registerring with MS. Once this timelimit is exceeded, the OS will boot up and prompt you to regiter. If you cancel the registration the Os will shut the computer back down

    Guest, Feb 20, 2004
  6. jjb48

    Dave Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > XP allows you to use it for a limited time (I've forgotten the ammount)

    without registerring with MS. Once this timelimit is exceeded, the OS will
    boot up and prompt you to regiter. If you cancel the registration the Os
    will shut the computer back down.

    no it won't. registration is completely optional. nothing happens if you
    never do it.

    Dave, Feb 20, 2004
  7. jjb48

    Scott Guest

    There is a BIG difference between "registration" & "activation". You are NOT
    required to "register", but ARE required to "activate" Windows XP within 30
    days of installation.
    Hope a straight answer helped in your quest vs. all the smart@ss replies you
    received below.

    Scott, Feb 20, 2004
  8. In news:1339d01c3f7e7$38263540$,
    jjb48 <> typed:

    > What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
    > do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

    You are mixing up registration and activation. There is no
    requirement to register and no time limit.

    However Activation is mandatory. If you don't activate within 30
    days you will be unable to use Windows except in Safe Mode.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Feb 20, 2004
  9. jjb48

    Alex Nichol Guest

    jjb48 wrote:

    >What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
    >do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

    You will find you are unable to use it other than in Safe mode without
    networking, until you activate it (not register) by phoning in.

    Bournemouth, U.K. 8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

    Alex Nichol, Feb 21, 2004