    - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    - God

    johnn, Feb 27, 2009

  2. johnn

    Unknown Guest

    Yes!

    Unknown, Feb 27, 2009

  3. johnn

    johnn Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:42:27 -0600, "Unknown" <> wrote:

    >"johnn" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Is there in fact a SP3 for XP Pro?

    >Yes!

    Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
    Oh well, I'm retired . . .

    __________________________________
    johnn
    __________________________________
    "God is dead"
    - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    - God

    johnn, Feb 27, 2009
  4. johnn

    JS Guest

    Where to download the SP3 installation file:
    (File is large but will only install components that your PC requires)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en

    Free unlimited installation and compatibility support
    (Via Email, Chat or Phone support)
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Feb 27, 2009
  5. johnn wrote:
    > I have an IBM notepad which has XP Pro as an OS.
    > I fired it up today, and it acted as if it were going to install
    > SP3; but then it could not complete.
    >
    > I now have version 2002 SP2
    >
    > Is there in fact a SP3 for XP Pro?

    For many many months now.

    Nothing has or will change with Windows XP SP3. The majority of the issues
    you read about will be because the computer in question *had* a problem to
    begin with and had that problem been properly dealt with (or never caused)
    then SP3 would not have exposed the issue (because it wouldn't have existed
    to expose.)

    I've installed Windows XP SP3 onto thousands upon thousands of machines
    by now - I may have ran into issues on a dozen or so machines - and for the
    majority of those, my bad.

    Short:

    With proper preparation - you are unlikely to have problems - and if you
    have been performing proper maintenance all along - even if you do - you are
    only out a short period of time (restoring from the backup/drive image you
    made wisely before diving in...)

    A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldro...requisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

    Suggestions:

    1) Download the full SP3 installation file and/or burn the ISO download to
    CD.
    2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
    scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.
    3) CHKDSK
    4) Defragment
    5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
    manufacturer's respective web pages.)
    6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.
    7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically.)
    8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
    install SP3.

    Some (if not all) of that is covered in the above links.

    Long:

    Like it or not - Windows XP SP3 is something that you probably should
    install if...

    - You are currently running Windows XP (32bit).
    - You care about keeping your machine current and running its best.
    - You wish to continue running Windows XP for some indeterminate time into
    the future.
    - You want to free support if you have any trouble installing it (SP3 that
    is.)

    Service Pack 3 is mostly all of the updates released after SP2 and until the
    release of SP3. You may think to yourself that you have been keeping your
    PC updated - so you probably have all those updates - fact is, you'd be
    incorrect. You may have all the publically released ones, but SP3 contains
    1179 previously released updates - guaranteed you do not have them all
    installed without it. ;-)

    Most of the issues people have had with SP3 have to do with their particular
    configuration or a problem caused by a third party change/mis-configuration
    on their system - and almost all have a relatively simple fix.

    Before starting, know where you can get help:

    A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*
    until April 2009...
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

    Other than "Automatic Updates" or the Windows Update web page - how can you
    get SP3?

    Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&DisplayLang=en

    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
    IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

    Do a little reading - to ensure you are ready...
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldro...requisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

    Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm

    Key things to note:
    Internet Explorer:
    "If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of
    Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
    Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
    version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
    SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
    uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
    "If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
    Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
    avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
    this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
    XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

    Did all that and have some issues you believe might be related to SP3?
    Check these out:

    It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
    SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
    installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
    that...

    Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
    installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

    Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

    Workarounds:
    http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jes...ed-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx
    [NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
    that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
    [WinXP SP3]."

    1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
    2. After booting into Safe Mode:
    Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
    sc config intelppm start= disabled
    --> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

    Other references include:
    1. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
    2.http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jes...ed-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx
    3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/windows_xp_sp3_reboots_crashes/
    4.
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9084418
    5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a
    non-Intel-processor-based computer (Revised 06 May-08):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

    Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
    SP3... I suggest going straight to the third method of this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

    Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
    latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

    Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little
    planning. ;-)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Feb 28, 2009
  6. johnn

    nupsig Guest

    'johnn[_2_ Wrote:
    > ;1478570']O
    >
    > Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
    > Oh well, I'm retired . . .
    >

    > __________________________________
    > johnn
    > __________________________________
    > "God is dead"
    > - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
    > "Nietzsche is dead"
    > - God

    Yes, it will need hours for install SP3. Because it same with modifie
    all system in your OS. BUt i believe after you using SP3, you would no
    disappoin

    --
    nupsig

    nupsig, Mar 3, 2009
  7. "nupsig" <> wrote in message

    > 'johnn[_2_ Wrote:
    >> ;1478570']O
    >>
    >> Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
    >> Oh well, I'm retired . . .
    >>

    >> __________________________________
    >> johnn
    >> __________________________________
    >> "God is dead"
    >> - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
    >> "Nietzsche is dead"
    >> - God

    > Yes, it will need hours for install SP3. Because it same with modified
    > all system in your OS. BUt i believe after you using SP3, you would not
    > disappoint
    >

    > --
    > nupsig

    Hours? 35 to 40 minutes is about right. How do I know? I have just done
    it!

    It may take 'hours' if you include all the programs you may need but not
    hours for the OS. If it does take 'hours' I sudder to think of the machine
    performance once installed as the machine must be exceptionally slow.

    Edward W. Thompson, Mar 4, 2009
  8. johnn

    Leonard Grey Guest

    (lol...24 minutes for SP3 and all the other updates I installed at the
    same time...on a computer that's almost 7 years old.)
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:
    > "nupsig" <> wrote in message
    >> 'johnn[_2_ Wrote:
    >>> ;1478570']O
    >>>
    >>> Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
    >>> Oh well, I'm retired . . .
    >>>

    >>> __________________________________
    >>> johnn

    Leonard Grey, Mar 4, 2009
  9. johnn

    johnn Guest

    On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 03:07:12 -0500, Leonard Grey <> wrote:

    >(lol...24 minutes for SP3 and all the other updates I installed at the
    >same time...on a computer that's almost 7 years old.)
    >---
    >Leonard Grey
    >Errare humanum est

    >> "nupsig" <> wrote in message

    >> Hours? 35 to 40 minutes is about right. How do I know? I have just done
    >> it!
    >>
    >> It may take 'hours' if you include all the programs you may need but not
    >> hours for the OS. If it does take 'hours' I sudder to think of the machine
    >> performance once installed as the machine must be exceptionally slow.

    Would the fact that I have only 256 MB of Ram (2 X 128) have anything to do with this?
    It will take 2 X 512 modules.
    The machine is an IBM ThinlPad A30, ( Pentium III-M - 1.13 GHz - ) and in my opinion should be
    faster. It seems that whnever I load any programs, the HD is forever spinning.

    I checked with the store where I bougth it to see in they had RAM modules, and while they do, they
    cautioned me agains spending money on that, and said it probably would not make much - if any -
    differense.

    Any advice or opinion?

    Thanks!
    __________________________________
    johnn
    __________________________________
    "God is dead"
    - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    - God

    johnn, Mar 4, 2009
  10. johnn

    Unknown Guest

    It will make a huge difference. 256 MB is about minimum for Windows XP.
    I suggest you go to www.crucial.com and research your memory details. They
    guarantee their
    memory and are cheaper than others.

    Unknown, Mar 4, 2009
  11. johnn

    JS Guest

    Your Thinkpad no doubt has an onboard video chip,
    this steals (uses) some of that 256MB of memory,
    leaving Windows OS and applications with less than
    256MB.

    So yes, upgrade to 512MB or 1GB (2 X 512 modules)
    if there is not much price difference between 512 and
    1GB upgrade.You will see and improvement with 512MB,
    most likely no noticeable improvement with 1GB.

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Mar 4, 2009