XP Pro installation problem!!??

Reaction score
I am unable to install Windows XP Pro on my new computer... the list of parts follows....

Asus nForce 2 Motherboard ---> http://www.anitec.ca/viewproduct.aspx?pid=474
AMD 2500+ CPU ----------------> http://www.anitec.ca/viewproduct.aspx?pid=1547
ATI Sapphire 256mb VidCard --> http://www.anitec.ca/viewproduct.aspx?pid=804
Samsung (PC-3200) 1024mb DDR ram 2x512 ---> http://www.anitec.ca/viewproduct.aspx?pid=106
Seagate 40gb HardDrive (taken from my old Compaq Presario)
normal CD drive... (also taken from my old Compaq Presario)

Now.... the Harddrive has been reformatted over and over again, so IT SHOULD be completely blank...
I boot up my comp with my XP pro cd in there, press a key so it loads from CD... then proceed to format just fine, but once it gets to the actual screen with the Windows XP logo, and the list of installation steps that are to follow to complete your installation, you know.. the part where it says 'installation will complete in 35-90 minutes' ya anyway, that part then the comp just freezes, I could tell by the the green little boxes in the bottom right of the screen which are supposed to constantly be moving, they stop moving and the screen sometimes also turns blue, and half the time this error pops up......
"lsass.exe Not enough quota- Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation"
and then the computer restarts and it says SETUP BEING RESTARTED.......then it goes to a blank blue screen and it gets stuck in an endless loop of restarting and crashing, restarting and crashing... the first day I bought the computer I did manage to install windows, but I found it to be INCREDIBLY slow and laggy, things like the task manager not poping up when it should, things like msconfig not popping up when u try to run it, things like random program failures and program crashes would happen, so I figured I should reinstall XP all over again, so I reformatted and tried to install again but now it wont even install.... can someone help me please ????

cuz I dont wanna go back to the store and have the dudes charge me another $100 to fix a problem that shouldnt be happening because they told me all the hardware put together should work fine....

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
A few questions:

If it is a new computer why would they charge to fix it if it has a problem?

I am not sure if your computer was put together by yourself or the shop guys since you say you have old HD and CD Drive from the old Compaq.

Do you know how to set the bios to detect all hardware correctly?

Are you sure your old Hard disk and/or CD Drive is not faulty?

Have you installed the Hard Drive and CD Drive on Primary and Secondary IDE connector on the MB?

How old is your Seagate HD? I reckon it should be over three years old, is it?

Reaction score
Cuz I bought the parts and my friend who works at another computer shop put together the parts for me free of charge. saved myself $50, I'm not cheap or nutin, but why spend money when u dont have too right...

The BIOS settings are all default, I thought that should be good enough ?? or is it not ?? and no I do not know how to set the BIOS to read all hardware correctly....

Yes Im sure my HD and my CD are not faulty, they were working perfect on my Compag.. and now as far as the Hard drive and CD drive on Primary and Secondary IDE connectors on the MB, I HAVE NO IDEA but my friend who did it for me ASSURES me that everything is plugged in properly, but I did see him have some confusion when he did the connector thingies, he did switch between the first or second or sumting like that, so I thought originally that must have been the problem, a faulty connection somewhere, but he keeps telling me that everything with the hardware is fine and if it wasnt connected properly that my whole computer wouldnt be able to start... etc.. yea the Seagate is more than a few years old
i think around 4, almost 5 years.......

ok man thankz for replying to my post.... now whatcha got for me ???

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Adon said:
Cuz I bought the parts and my friend who works at another computer shop put together the parts for me free of charge. saved myself $50, I'm not cheap or nutin, but why spend money when u dont have too right...

Well saving some money by building your own computer does NOT make you or anybody else "cheap", this actually means you are worthy of doing something on your own rather than relying on others plus the main reason to build ones own computer is SHEER FUN :)

The BIOS settings are all default, I thought that should be good enough ?? or is it not ?? and no I do not know how to set the BIOS to read all hardware correctly....

I have not used the MB you have so not sure of what kind of features are there on the MB when it comes to bios settings. However, generally default settings are not the most preferrable method to use, it is suppose to be more like being in safe mode, however your friend should be able to check them out if you do not know how to set it up, few of the setting concerning, HD, CD drive, booting options, RAM settings are necessary to tweak in order to get the best out of your system. Have you discussed this problem with your friend? Since he put it together he would surely know what setting he used and may be able to guide you more.

Yes Im sure my HD and my CD are not faulty, they were working perfect on my Compag.. and now as far as the Hard drive and CD drive on Primary and Secondary IDE connectors on the MB, I HAVE NO IDEA but my friend who did it for me ASSURES me that everything is plugged in properly, but I did see him have some confusion when he did the connector thingies, he did switch between the first or second or sumting like that, so I thought originally that must have been the problem, a faulty connection somewhere, but he keeps telling me that everything with the hardware is fine and if it wasnt connected properly that my whole computer wouldnt be able to start... etc.. yea the Seagate is more than a few years old
i think around 4, almost 5 years.......

It is possible that your hard drive is working but at the same time may have Bad Sectors on it which are not locked and thus creating a problem for the sytem to work once you install the OS. Ideally you should have checked your hard drive for bad sectors before you install the newer OS. Since it is more than 4 years old, the reliability now is in question, I personally would not trust such an old hard drive, since they are not very expensive one can get a new one. You also need not go for a huge one but just be able to manage something small say 60-80 GB which should come cheap. My personal advise to you would be to have the hard disk checked before you install the OS even if you do not wish to go for a new one now. This is your decision alone, no one can force you but I have tried to explain my own thoughts on it.

ok man thankz for replying to my post.... now whatcha got for me ???

No need to thank for the response, we are here to help anyone and everyone who needs help, today myself and others on this forum are doing it, tomorrow you may be doing it as well. :)

Reaction score
Yea I dont mind going back and getting a new harddrive, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew or has had problems with this the exact error.....
cuz there's a solution for each error, and the error that keeps popping up is still "lsass.exe Not enough quota- Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation"
and I have looked all over the internet, and have actually found 1 or 2 people with the same problem, but nobody has any answers for them....
I'm not in need of a huge 200 gb HD so youre right I'm getting a 80gig for myself, it will be enough...
so if anyone out there knows the answer to why my Windows XP installation is freezing and constantly restarting itself, with the above written error, please let me know what it means and what the cause is, then I'll get down to some solutions....
thankz

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know this may not have anything to do with this particular problem but how did you format your hd....maybe just maybe you have some remnants left...just a thought....other than that follow what Quad has already said.....

If the lsass.exe is spelt with a capital L this is ok...if spelt all lower case this is a virus....
This is from the same family as W32.Sasser....... which has many relations

Reaction score
I formatted with the standard Win XP format tool straight from the XP cd... and also tried Fdisk, using the Windows 98 bootdisk... from bootdisk.com...
I dunno how its spelled, I forgot.....
well is it possible for trojans and viruses to still be sticking around on my HD even after I have reformatted ?

Ask a Question