XP Normal User loses printer between sessions

Discussion in 'Windows XP Print / Fax' started by Siv, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. Siv

    Siv Guest

    Hi,
    I maintain some XP Pro SP2/SP3 computers in a small Primary school in the UK
    and recently I installed a new HP colour LaserJet. I set it up via USB on
    the Windows 2003 Server as there are no spare network ports and shared it
    out. I then logged into each XP box as the pupil account which is a limited
    (ie non administrative) domain user on the local box.

    I then opened explorer and navigated to the server and double-clicked the
    shared colour laserjet, this installed the driver and the print queue window
    appeared. I then selected "Set as default" on the "printer" menu and then
    closed out.

    I did a test print from a Word document and everything worked fine.

    The next day when the users logged on with the same account the printer had
    disappeared?

    Any ideas why the printer is being lost between sessions. I had also
    installed the printer on the teacher's administrative log on (again a domain
    account but this time with local box admin rights)?

    I have found that it is disappearing on the teacher's account as well, so I
    can install the printer, send prints to it and then log off, log back in
    again immediately and the printer has gone again??

    Any help appreciated.

    Siv
    --
    Martley, Near Worcester, UK

    Siv, Oct 16, 2008

  2. check for logon / log off scripts that may delete printer connections

    you can setup the printer connections on each machine such that any user who
    logs onto a system gets the printer connection.

    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Oct 16, 2008

  3. Siv

    Siv Guest

    Alan,
    I don't think there are any scripts that will do that, but I will check,
    some IT guys from the local County education department installed a server to
    manage internet connection and they may have messed with the main server as
    part of that.

    I will also have a look at the other link you provided.

    Thanks for your help,

    Siv
    --
    Martley, Near Worcester, UK