xp no sony video capture

Ralph

I posted this before but got no solutions
and I am hoping that doing so again will get
someone to help me. I see on the site thst others have
had these problems but have yet to see any solutions.
Sony says that the camera is full compatible with xp but
I cannot get any video capture.
QUOTE:
I have a new DEll 4600, 2.8 computer which came with
windows xp professional but without a IEEE 1394
connection. I installed from my old computer a Texas
Instruments OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller
card. I hace been trying to capture digital video from my
Sony DV camera which is a DCR-PC1 model and have tried to
do a capture using Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere
6.0, as well as other such programs but continually get
the message that"The DV device was not connected, etc."
Adobe Premiere says "tyhe DV device is unavailable for
device control". My system device manager lists the IEEE
as working properly and I have checked all the
connections to and from the camera and cannot see
anything wrong. Can anyone help??? UNQUOTE
As an update to the above if I leave the camera plugged
in and powered on long enough the computer seems to
attempt to recognise it but only for fleeting
microseconds and if I am lucky a window opens up giving
some options. This window is similar to the one when you
insert a dvd or cd asking whether you wish to play etc.
Only on 2 occasions over many hundreds of tries was I
successful in getting Movie maker to capture any video
and when it did it only did so for less than 5 seconds
before cutting off. Is there any help out there???

Hausi Tellenbach

Hi Ralph.

Very often it's a bad IEEE-1394 cable (bad shield, bad quality, ... )or a
loose contact (broken wires, ...), sometimes even the connectors don't fit
exactly (hole on the camcorder to small, loose contact at the IEEE adapter,
....)
(see e.g. www.DVBoard.com or www.DVZone.de - there is a lot about cable
failures posted)

Since it workes sometime at least a little, I guess, you have installed the
right drivers...
....there is a long chain - Plug'n'Pray will only detect a hardware, if no
link is broken

I would try with an other IEEE 1394 cable (aka i.Link aka Firewire), perhaps
with money back guarantee -> In my case the 3th cable was working without
any problems...

Cheers,

Hausi

Bigbot3

Ralph said:
[...]

Is on the firewire card a real texas instruments chip or one from via
or lucent?
I know from my own experience that only firewire cards with a real TI
chip work reliable in windows XP. (for example the sitecom desktop
firewire kit) that one works for me now and I have also a PC1.

Hausi Tellenbach

Bigbot3 said:
"Ralph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Is on the firewire card a real texas instruments chip or one from via
or lucent?
I know from my own experience that only firewire cards with a real TI
chip work reliable in windows XP. (for example the sitecom desktop
firewire kit) that one works for me now and I have also a PC1.

One of the most failures is the IEEE-1394 cable - even, if you don't belife
it...
....e.g.
http://www.dvboard.com/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=13&t=21&st=75&#entry1713

Cheers,
Hausi

ralph

Thanks so much. I did as you suggested. I bought a new
cable which seems a much better quality and with good
shielding. I am pleased to report all capture programs
now recognise the video camera and the device manager
lists the Sony mini dv under imaging devices. Again
thanks a bunch
Ralph