Windows XP XP is falling apart ?!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i was just sitting here and all of a sudden i have no explorer bar on the left and i've just noticed that virtually every app in the start menu has got a generic icon, it seems they have all been deleted somehow ?!

i can sort of get the explorer bar back but its not how it used to be, anyone got any ideas ? cant seem to find anything on google

doing a virus scan as i type but i'm not expecting it to find anything

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
start windows go to your desktop hold down Ctrl -> Shift -> Esc click file -> New Task (Run...) type explorer.exe let me know what happened next after you do that

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
that did nothing but a reboot seems to have sorted it, one of those quirky windows features i guess

cheers for the suggestion though:thumb:

Reaction score
In that case i would run avg antispyware, adaware se, spybot S&D, and Windows Defender to get rid of some spyware. Make sure you have service pack 2 and all the updates and you should not run into the problem again.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have absolutely no idea WTF happened, nothing has shown up in any of the scans and the registry couldn't have been touched or i'd have been told about it

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i was just sitting here and all of a sudden i have no explorer bar on the left and i've just noticed that virtually every app in the start menu has got a generic icon, it seems they have all been deleted somehow ?!

i can sort of get the explorer bar back but its not how it used to be, anyone got any ideas ? cant seem to find anything on google

doing a virus scan as i type but i'm not expecting it to find anything
I had a problem earlier today with about 9 icons changing from normal to like squares with a paterns on them. Had to change the icons back through each icons system properties?

and also by refreshing the desktop & then suddenly all was fine??
is this the sort of thing you have had to Me_2001???

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
my desktop was fine, just most of the start menu changed into these
winxppro.png

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
that was my initial thought alf but nothing showed in my virus scan or any of the online ones

so i thought i'd risk a reboot which fixed it

Ask a Question