Windows XP xp home to xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just bought a new system that I requested xp pro instead of Vista, so I loaded xp pro on my old system. Is there anyway I can keep xp pro on my old system that originally has xp home? Microsoft says that I have 30 days to remove it. I realize the copywrite issues,etc, but thought maybe there was some way of doing it.Thanks

Reaction score
Are yo sure you haven't miss read it and it says you have 30 days to register it....???

Reaction score
Yes. remember I'm trying to load xp pro that came with my new system to a 2nd computer(backup).Thanks

Reaction score
15 years of experience in IT in some way shape or form,and I care not to remember the amount of times I have installed XP Pro on computer using disks from other machines and I have never come across this..The only message you will get is one telling you to activate the product within 30 days..

Reaction score
I have XP Home+XP Pro+Vista on one PC No problem Just do >
The only message you will get is one telling you to activate the product within 30 days..

Which is correct.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
You need to ACTIVATE it over the internet or by phoning microsoft, otherwise after 30 days, you won't be able to use windows. If you activate it over the internet, it only takes a few seconds! (unless you pirated the copy it won't work) But I'm sure you didn't. :)

Reaction score
Sorry but this thread should be locked.

What you want to do is violation of the EULA and licensing terms.

PCReview does not promote or endorse piracy at any level.

XP Pro on your new computer will be using a downgrade license (effectivaly a Vista Business or Ultimate license). Your old system is licensed to run XP Home or using downgrade rights, Win ME, 98 or 95.
You need to buy a XP Pro license (not possible now) or a Vista Business/Ultimate license for your old PC.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Its not piracy,

You could put XP Pro on a second computer and not activate it, however after 30 days you get limited use only, i.e. no internet, if you don't want to use it on the internet then you are allowed to do this, i spoke to microsoft and they have no problem with me doing this with vista.

My main PC in the living have Vista HP 64bit on it, i use this for watching films, games and internet, my second PC is in the study/gym which my girlfriend uses for School work as she is a teacher - no internet, i used the same OEM disc of vista.

As long as you don't try to activate it by using someone elses key or the same key you are fine.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Its not piracy,

You could put XP Pro on a second computer and not activate it, however after 30 days you get limited use only, i.e. no internet, if you don't want to use it on the internet then you are allowed to do this, i spoke to microsoft and they have no problem with me doing this with vista.

My main PC in the living have Vista HP 64bit on it, i use this for watching films, games and internet, my second PC is in the study/gym which my girlfriend uses for School work as she is a teacher - no internet, i used the same OEM disc of vista.

As long as you don't try to activate it by using someone elses key or the same key you are fine.

Interesting.... last time I installed XP and didn't activate it after 30 days it wouldn't let me log on untill I did.

As for the licensing.... I've doubled checked the EULA for XP and I'm sorry to inform you, but your wrong.
MS's call centre is nortorious for being easily confused and believing different things between each call taker.

I done alot of research into this (IT Admin of over 500 Comps), however it's possible that the EULA for XP is different from Vista. Unless you have what MS said in writing I'd double check the EULA. Note... where it mention processors, it means cpus within the same system, not 2 single cpu systems.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay mate, fair one on the microsoft call centre i suppose.

As for the EULA i don't know about that just know what they told me on the phone.

Apologies if i have mislead anyone.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, grey areas eh?

Skipping around all of the questionable practices and experiences let's just state that broadly speaking if you want to run Windows XP on two machines then you should pay for it twice.

The cheapest way to do this is to purchase an OEM edition from one of the many online suppliers. Once you have that then use the supplied activation code to activate your installation.

Then you could keep the new disc as a physical backup.

It's not the disk you pay for, it's the operating system and the number to activate.

And yes, in case you're wondering, I think it sucks as well and I'm not terribly fond of Microsoft.

I think that gives a fairly black and white answer to the original question and with that in mind I'm going to close the thread before it veers off into areas which could be a bit dodgy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question