Windows XP XP hell III:The nightmare continues…Formatting problem

Reaction score
Bleedin’ ‘eck…

Ive just tried to reformat my hard drive for XP using a 98 boot disk. I made one partition using Fdisk and then restarted and tried to format the drive, using the ‘format c: /s’ command. After getting the ‘ALL DATA WILL BE LOST’ message the formatting starting, but didn’t progress past 0% and is just hanging….

Any ideas – Ive just tested the hard drive using Simm tester? and it said it was ok.

What s going on???

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How long did you leave it for, and how large are your hard disks?

If you stick the XP CD in on bootup, it should be able to format and install the drive for you?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
booj

try ...

format c:

... don't use the 's' switch, you don't need it.

You did delete any of the original partitions?

If it will not format beyond 0% then you may have a faulty HD. :(

Reaction score
Re: booj

Go to the website of the manufacturer of the drive and download their utility disk/s. Test the drive with that. It should also allow you do fill the drive with zero's. Retry FDisk ensuring you reboot before trying to format.

Nick

Reaction score
Try other partitioning software it that does not work do what nickc says. Most all LBA hard drives and some older have a bios chip that is flashed at the factory, and the only way to flash to the factory settings it is to use thier software. Sometimes changing the O. S. does crazy things to that chip and it always happens when upgrading from 3.1 to 95-98 upgrades. also clean it up write zeros after reflashing.

Ask a Question