Windows XP XP hangs on startup, no safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTP

Reaction score
Hi, im sorry to dump yet another gripe about windows on your collective shoulders, especially on new years day but i am at my wits end.

yesterday i installed two new games on my pc for my younger brother to play (ok and me!) and had no problems, my little brother played them for a while then had a blue screen hang <win32k.sys no function>.

i powered down, removed the power from the source and pressed the on/off button to remove the residual power that is left and gave it a minute then rebooted. the windows error page loaded with the usual start normally,last known config,safe mode etc and i selected normally. the little hdd red light flashed and then another system hang occurred. ? so i rebooted again and same screen,went for safe mode. the initial loadup screen did its thing and then hung on a particular file load <BTHidmanager.sys>. this had me scratching my head, but i rebooted again and tried last known good config. again it hung up after 3 or 4 seconds. arrgh!

so i pressed delete on the next reboot, went into the bios menu,checked that my hdd was still there<which it was><duh> and saved the settings and rebooted. got the satisfying beep as it rebooted and then got the windows error page again, this time i let the countdown expire and windows booted normally with no problems. ??? so i thought if i ever needed to backup this is the time, backed up onto a portable, all good there. but after backing up i thought i might defrag the master hdd < i use this computer mainly for audio recording/editing and am aware that audio files can be the cause of glitches in the OS> so i defragged, it took about 2 hours <500gb total,45gb free,Samsung 7200sata> gave one of my audio programs a run, had no drama and thought ok everything is gravy baby. WRONG. i thought i would reboot so the OS would start fresh after the defrag which was the biggest mistake ive made so far. other than support the eels for 22 years running <haha>.

Now when i get to the safe mode,last known config,start normal screen NONE of the options work, safe mode hangs at the same point <BTHidmanager.sys> last known and normal do not load and even if i leave the countdown it still will not boot.

i even got my xp disc out and thought i may give the repair option a go, the normal blue windows setup screen pops up, devices load,files load and then it hangs indefinitely. with no option of recovery.

i have a feeling that i may be up for a complete format of the hdd, i hope i dont have to because a lot of the software i have installed i no longer have the cds and keys for as i lost a shitload of stuff in a fire a year ago, as i mentioned i did manage to backup the bulk of my work but with the programs im well and truly screwed. boohoo me. im wondering if i can install xp onto my external hdd and boot of that then when it comes time to load up i can select which one i want to use. is this possible? also can you boot from a USB hdd master?

ripping my hair out in frustration

again

MTP

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
BTHidmanager.sys (BTHidMgr.sys) is the Blue-Tooth manager, you'll need to disable it if you can, otherwise ... repair (dirty re-install).

Good luck!

:user:

MTP

Reaction score
Okay first i will say ty for your reply Muckshifter.

My problem seems to have resolved itself, or at least temporarily.

I decided on a radical course of action which involved me removing the battery from the MB so the bios would reset and actually detaching the sata and ide and ram sticks from the appropriate dimm and MB slots. i gave them a wipe down and reinserted them, well the ram went in the opposite dimm slots, they are two seperate brands kingston 1gbDDR400@333mhz and gasp! rambo 512mb also @ 333mhz > and the master hdd into channel 3 as opposed to ch 1 originally. on reboot i entered the time/date and it fired up, straight to run best last config and blue screened! arrgh, i thought i was screwed for sure but i had one last go just to see wether safe mode and normal mode worked and normal mode ired up immediately, no lag,no glitching straight into desktop and i was a happy boy. but im lax to think my problems are over just yet. heres the specs along with OS

athlon fx64 3500+,1.5gb ddr400@333mhz,winfast NF4UK8AA MB, ASUS Power supply<its enough wattage,came w/tower>ATI x1900 512 Video, Tascam Us122 external sound 24bit@96khz, XP SP2.

Now im an amateur at best when it comes to hardware, i made this pc from scratch and have had no probs since 06. outdated yes, but a slow beast mehhh maybe compared to a quad core 9600, but i can play everything but crysis,stalker and r6Vegas on full everything specs and have 32 channels of audio running through cubase or ableton while rewired through reason, anymore than 32 and it starts gettin glitchy,it works but the clicks n artefacts start popping in and out. i also use a macbookpro for audio and it only just compares when running logic or protools at the same spec.

so now the musing begins. did the actual physical removal of the cables and battery result in the hdd&OS sorting itself out or would you make the assumption,like i have, that the hdd is close to capacity and wanting a re-shuffle and perhaps a clean up? should i mention that it is also a naughty copy of XP? <here come the threats of fade attacks and pointing fingers> believe me im all for antipiracy, i pay for all my software except for the OS, its true! i work in an industry where software piracy results in me paying more than i should for plugins and rendering SW so i do feel a slight twinge of guilt when i think that bill and co wont get to spend that extra 300 odd on whatever they spend it on.

all fripperey aside, do you think any of the above would correct my problem?

cheers, and best of luck in the new year.

MTP

Reaction score
MTP said:
should i mention that it is also a naughty copy of XP?

Sorry to say, but I for one won't be contributing to any threads you may make...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
MTP said:
should i mention that it is also a naughty copy of XP?

MTP

Probably not.
laughingsmiley.gif

Although i reckon everyone on here will have broken a law at some point in their lives, they just don't tell everyone about it or openly admit to it, or as i'm sure to find out they do.

MTP

Reaction score
oh yes the finger pointing has definitely begun.

at least there are no long-winded diatribes as to how bad my moral character is or ridiculous comparisons to nazi war criminals.

i dont decline to accept the fact that using pirated software is illegal, but i find it amusing people criticise others for the usage of said illegal SW and claim not to have indulged in the use of such things at one point in their lives. as you said wayne, they just dont make the fact public.

mehhh.

i for one dont really mind, the finger pointing that is. for some using pirated software is a way of life, for me as i mentioned in my second post windows is the only pirated s/ware i have. considering i have spent upwards of 10k australian on software and SUPPORTED the companies and programmers that put food on my table by producing fine interfaces that i work with i find no problem with using a dodgy copy from a company that has a stranglehold on the monopoly that is modern pc OS`s.

its like voting corrupt politicians into government, you know its wrong and that in the long run you will regret it but somehow you retain that glimmer of hope that everything will work out for YOU in the end.

my problem seems to have resolved itself anyway, i think that i need to buy another computer. maybe i`ll stick with Apple now, the macbook has had no probs so far, and those new g5`s have been getting some fantastic reviews, i mean who wouldnt want one if they could afford it.

that should churn up some debate im sure.

thanks to all that posted or read.

happy new year

Reaction score
MTP said:
i dont decline to accept the fact that using pirated software is illegal, but i find it amusing people criticise others for the usage of said illegal SW and claim not to have indulged in the use of such things at one point in their lives. as you said wayne, they just dont make the fact public.

. considering i have spent upwards of 10k australian on software and

I didn't criticise...I used to be a policeman before..I have never so much downloaded music illegally....What you are doing is illegal which ever way you look at it....

As for spending 10k upwards, what does tha now make you imune to having to pay for software..? If thats the case I am going to go and steal Leis Hamiltons F1 car, christ I have spen upwards of £50, 000 in the last 5 years on my Skyline....

MAte what you are doing is wrong wether you like it or not, don't try to justify it, and don't try turn the finger pointing on those that critisise what you do..Theft is theft which ever way you look at it...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MTP:

Welcome to the forum, glad your prob has kinda resolved itself.

We do seem to have quite a few self righteous peeps who like to wag fingers cos you might have denied the richest corporation in the world a few pennies.

The only reason we don't allow mention of illegal software, piracy, warez, whatever here is because we're a public forum and if we're seen to be encouraging illegal activities the powers that be could make things awkward for us and we don't want that.

As for the moral question - who gives a monkeys, lol, is my personal view, but as a Moderator I have to say 'Tut tut, that's naughty, don't mention it here'.

So, officially, don't mention it again, ok? For two reasons - one - we don't want to get into trouble. two - it uspets the holier-than-thou factions ;)

And a happy new year to you squire :)

And FWIW my copies of XP and Vista are paid for and my copy of Linux Mint was absolutely free :)

MTP

Reaction score
okay okay i surrender!

my bad.

go listen to itunes then mate, keep supporting those who keep you in the dark and uphold that fine moral stance that you have managed to keep throughout your life as a servant to a public who does not give a rats about anyone or thing but themselves.

that was harsh , i apologise, im jaded and cynical and only thirty years old.

but i like good music and absolutely hate the government and major global corporations. i might write another song about it. yes i will write a song about public servants who say one thing and do another< in the best interest of the voters that is, or is it the contributers to their little back pockets???>. hmm i never will know for sure.

anyway i should stop now. :-0

thanks for the heads up floppy, i`ll keep it in mind.

peace!

Reaction score
MTP said:
okay okay i surrender!

my bad.

go listen to itunes then mate, keep supporting those who keep you in the dark and uphold that fine moral stance that you have managed to keep throughout your life as a servant to a public who does not give a rats about anyone or thing but themselves.

that was harsh , i apologise, im jaded and cynical and only thirty years old.

but i like good music and absolutely hate the government and major global corporations. i might write another song about it. yes i will write a song about public servants who say one thing and do another< in the best interest of the voters that is, or is it the contributers to their little back pockets???>. hmm i never will know for sure.

anyway i should stop now. :-0

thanks for the heads up floppy, i`ll keep it in mind.

peace!

MTP are you here to rub people up the wrong way or waht..? Because you are certainly going about it the right way...Rea the forum guidelines....

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and before this diminishes into a slagging match, I'll close the thread.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question