XP freezes at login screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Michael Zaret, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Hello,
    Ever since the first day I got this machine (purchased new 2/2003 I have had an intermittent booting problem. On occasion while the little green boxes are moving from left to right across the screen during boot up, they stall for about 2 to 5 seconds. When this happens, I end up at the login screen with the mouse, and keyboard frozen. I have no choice but to manually power off the system, and reboot.
    I have noted that when this happens there is an error 7023 in the event viewer "system" log file. But, I am not able to view the event error "application" file because it says "file is corrupt".
    I have tried a long list of diagnostic tests suggested by some good folks at the Ziff-Davis forum site to no avail. I regularly run Spybot, Adware6, McAffee Virus Scan, and I have a Firewall in place.
    I am using an eMachines 2160 with 60GB and 256MB SDRAM.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thanks to all. Phlegmox

Michael Zaret, Dec 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. Michael Zaret

Rich Barry Guest

MIchael, take a look here
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Error+7023+in+WinXP&btnG=Google+Search

"Michael Zaret" <> wrote in message news:%...
    Hello,
    Ever since the first day I got this machine (purchased new 2/2003 I have had an intermittent booting problem. On occasion while the little green boxes are moving from left to right across the screen during boot up, they stall for about 2 to 5 seconds. When this happens, I end up at the login screen with the mouse, and keyboard frozen. I have no choice but to manually power off the system, and reboot.
    I have noted that when this happens there is an error 7023 in the event viewer "system" log file. But, I am not able to view the event error "application" file because it says "file is corrupt".
    I have tried a long list of diagnostic tests suggested by some good folks at the Ziff-Davis forum site to no avail. I regularly run Spybot, Adware6, McAffee Virus Scan, and I have a Firewall in place.
    I am using an eMachines 2160 with 60GB and 256MB SDRAM.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thanks to all. Phlegmox

Rich Barry, Dec 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements