Windows XP XP Clock seems to be on double time

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a little problem. My clock runs way too fast. I synchronize it, and then it's immediately off by minutes. When I pull up the clock window, the second hand and digits seem to be going double or triple speed.

I have done ComboFix and Super Anti-Spyware, yet the clock is still busted. I am running NOD32, but have been for months without this happening.

I tried the Start -> cmd -> stop clock thing, but when I get to the 'unregister' step, it says access denied.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much,
Derek

Reaction score
brute said:
Hey guys,

I have a little problem. My clock runs way too fast. I synchronize it, and then it's immediately off by minutes. When I pull up the clock window, the second hand and digits seem to be going double or triple speed.

I have done ComboFix and Super Anti-Spyware, yet the clock is still busted. I am running NOD32, but have been for months without this happening.

I tried the Start -> cmd -> stop clock thing, but when I get to the 'unregister' step, it says access denied.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much,
Derek

Does this happen in Safemode?

Reaction score
I will try it in safemode right after I post this. I don't think it's a BIOS problem, but I could be wrong so I'll give it a try.

Here's some more info:

Computer Info:
Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
SP 3

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
2.19GHz, 1 GB RAM

Anti-Virus:
NOD32 3.0.642.0, definitions are up to date

Spyware:
Usually run Ad-Aware Personal and NoAdaware from time-to-time
After clock problem, ran SUPER Anti Spyware and ComboFix

Internet:
Wireless Cable, using Linksys WRT54G. I am in college and use the school's internet.

I will restart right now in safemode and let you know the results. :)

Reaction score
brute said:
I will try it in safemode right after I post this. I don't think it's a BIOS problem, but I could be wrong so I'll give it a try.

Here's some more info:

Computer Info:
Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
SP 3

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
2.19GHz, 1 GB RAM

Anti-Virus:
NOD32 3.0.642.0, definitions are up to date

Spyware:
Usually run Ad-Aware Personal and NoAdaware from time-to-time
After clock problem, ran SUPER Anti Spyware and ComboFix

Internet:
Wireless Cable, using Linksys WRT54G. I am in college and use the school's internet.

I will restart right now in safemode and let you know the results. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and including the specs. :thumb: I doubt weather its an infection but it could be, going by the software that you have got installed and NOD32 is one of the best Anti Virus programs on the market, I would say its not. I have never seen this problem before, have you tried changing the clock battery on the motherboard maybe that has something to do with this.

I will do some more researching into this and post back with anything that might help.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-256254.php

Regards

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far!

I read through the thread you linked to, and I tried this:

1. Start->Run cmd.exe
2. net stop w32time
3. w32tm.exe /unregister
4. w32tm.exe /register
5. net start w32time

After Step 3, it says:

The following error occurred: Access is denied. <0x80070005.

The clock runs fast in safe mode, too. I ran Super Anti Spyware and also ran ComboFix in safe mode, both to no avail. The clock still runs fast.

A separate (but possibly related issue) is I noticed that the hourglass seems sped up. The windows loading bars also seem to go faster. The line that blinks when it's waiting for you to type (sorry I don't know what it's called) also seems to blink faster than it used to.

I have not tried changing the clock battery. This is on my laptop at school and I have never taken it apart. I'll look into it, though.

Reaction score
brute said:
Thanks for the help so far!

I read through the thread you linked to, and I tried this:

1. Start->Run cmd.exe
2. net stop w32time
3. w32tm.exe /unregister
4. w32tm.exe /register
5. net start w32time

After Step 3, it says:

The clock runs fast in safe mode, too. I ran Super Anti Spyware and also ran ComboFix in safe mode, both to no avail. The clock still runs fast.

A separate (but possibly related issue) is I noticed that the hourglass seems sped up. The windows loading bars also seem to go faster. The line that blinks when it's waiting for you to type (sorry I don't know what it's called) also seems to blink faster than it used to.

I have not tried changing the clock battery. This is on my laptop at school and I have never taken it apart. I'll look into it, though.

Hi,

This is a very odd problem. Something is differently not right. It could either be a hardware issue or a software issue. Have you made any changes to the system before this started happening? It might be worth defaulting all the settings in the BIOS as well. The only other thing I can suggest is, a reinstall of XP make sure that you backup all your data first though. How old is this laptop?

Reaction score
The laptop is not too too old; I got it when I was heading into college, and this is my 6th semester. So it's 3 or 4 years old (which is not too old in my opinion!).

I have not made any changes to the system that I can think of. I don't think anything in BIOS has been changed in terms of overclocking. It's a very basic laptop I use for school work and web surfing, so I'm not going for ultra performance or anything.

I guess I'm going to be forced to reinstall Windows; I was hoping there was an easier way.

On a side note, I also just recently noticed that the loading indicator on Firefox is going turbo-speed, too. The hourglass flips over really quickly, and the windows minimize really fast. I wanted to check memory, so after ctrl alt del, I saw that the CPU usage percentage is refreshing itself super fast as well. In the Processes tab, the CPU and Mem Usage columns also refresh themselves very fast. Same with the Performance tab graphs.

It seems as though I'm in Wonderland or an alternate universe where I am on normal time, but my computer is hauling ass!

Last edited:
Reaction score
brute said:
The laptop is not too too old; I got it when I was heading into college, and this is my 6th semester. So it's 3 or 4 years old (which is not too old in my opinion!).

I have not made any changes to the system that I can think of. I don't think anything in BIOS has been changed in terms of overclocking. It's a very basic laptop I use for school work and web surfing, so I'm not going for ultra performance or anything.

I guess I'm going to be forced to reinstall Windows; I was hoping there was an easier way.

On a side note, I also just recently noticed that the loading indicator on Firefox is going turbo-speed, too. The hourglass flips over really quickly, and the windows minimize really fast. I wanted to check memory, so after ctrl alt del, I saw that the CPU usage percentage is refreshing itself super fast as well. In the Processes tab, the CPU and Mem Usage columns also refresh themselves very fast. Same with the Performance tab graphs.

It seems as though I'm in Wonderland or an alternate universe where I am on normal time, but my computer is hauling ass!

Hi,

It sounds as if this problem is getting worse, have you done a Disk Defragment recently? Its a pain having to reinstall Windows it might not fix it but it might do, its worth a try at least then we know its not a Windows problem, and it can only be a hardware fault within the laptop itself. Are you using all the latest chip set drivers, sound drivers, and graphics drivers?

Reaction score
Thanks for the ongoing help.

I defragged the night it started happening, and it didn't help. Drivers are up to date.

Last night I checked the BIOS clock and it was on normal speed. So I shut the computer off, unplugged the power, and let it sit there for 15-20 minutes. Turned it back on, synchronized the clock, and everything is back to normal!

I can't explain why it started or why it stopped, but I am glad it's done.

Thanks again for your help!

Reaction score
brute said:
Thanks for the ongoing help.

I defragged the night it started happening, and it didn't help. Drivers are up to date.

Last night I checked the BIOS clock and it was on normal speed. So I shut the computer off, unplugged the power, and let it sit there for 15-20 minutes. Turned it back on, synchronized the clock, and everything is back to normal!

I can't explain why it started or why it stopped, but I am glad it's done.

Thanks again for your help!

You're welcome.

Well that is weird some problems do that one minute they are there and then they have gone. I'm glad you managed to fix it. Post back anytime if you need any help. :thumb:

Regards,

Ask a Question