    Quick question.

    From what I have seen in a few reviews, it looks like that the X800Pro is
    not as fast as I thought! All reviews are saying that the performance is
    great, however, I do not see a huge increase in FPS! Am I wrong? It looks
    like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on regular
    settings, everything seems average...

    --
    Daniel
    www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english

    cimetière, May 11, 2004

  2. cimetière

    Cuzman Guest

    "cimetière" <> wrote in message
    news:6KUnc.17151$...

    " It looks like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on
    regular settings, everything seems average... "

    They could continue to make cards that produce more FPS as a priority, but
    after a certain level you just can't tell the difference. Your eyes only
    communicate with your brain a certain number of times per second. In my
    opinion, focusing on better results with AA and FSAA, they have done the
    graphics card market a good service.

    Cuzman, May 11, 2004

  3. cimetière

    cimetière Guest

    Thanks Cuzman.

    Should they improve FSAA, but not FPS, could this lead to performance
    problems when future games like DOOM 3 and HL2 will be more hungry in
    resources?

    cimetière, May 11, 2004
  4. cimetière

    bp Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:02:20 -0400, "cimetière"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >Quick question.
    >
    >From what I have seen in a few reviews, it looks like that the X800Pro is
    >not as fast as I thought! All reviews are saying that the performance is
    >great, however, I do not see a huge increase in FPS! Am I wrong? It looks
    >like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on regular
    >settings, everything seems average...

    Compared to what ?
    It looks to me that they all most double my 9800pro with MAX FSAA and
    AF turned on.

    bp, May 11, 2004
  5. cimetière

    bp Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 21:00:55 -0400, "cimetière"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks Cuzman.
    >
    >Should they improve FSAA, but not FPS, could this lead to performance
    >problems when future games like DOOM 3 and HL2 will be more hungry in
    >resources?

    If you can crank up the FSAA and other goodies , MAX out all game
    options and still get the same or better FPS then you have improved
    FPS.

    bp, May 11, 2004
  6. cimetière

    Asestar Guest

    If you compare the 1024*768*32 noAA no AF results of say radeon9700 to
    x800pro, difference will not be very huge, reason? At those levels (near
    200+fps), a lot of other hardware/software limitations come into play. SO
    results are not very dependent on gfx card, rather on whole system.

    When enabling AA and AF, gfx has to do extra work. New x800 does that nicely
    than say 9800.
    Remember gf4ti4800 was sometime faster than fx5700 when not enabling AA, fx
    takes lead when AA or AF is enabled, so it's no new trend.

    Also, what is benefit of having, say, 310fps @ 1024*768 (x800) VS 230fps (on
    9800xt)? You can't notice any difference.
    Now having 60+fps @ 1600*1200 8AF 6AA (x800) VS 20fps on 9800 is HUGE
    difference. Note these are just example numbers, but reality is somewhat
    similiar.

    Asestar, May 11, 2004
  7. i think with the introduction of the fx-53 64, I am going to figure out a way to overclock
    my eyeballs.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-fx53.html

    ** no fate **

    dracman

    -=-=-

    "Cuzman" <> wrote in message news:...
    : "cimetière" <> wrote in message
    : news:6KUnc.17151$...
    :

    Dr Richard Cranium, May 11, 2004
  8. cimetière

    McGrandpa Guest

    Damn. A gigaherts slower and STILL outperforms P4 Extreme. Impressive!
    Oh, btw, wondering *IF* about the diffs between the FX5900-128 and
    R9800PRO 128 finally got the better of me. I picked up that 9800Pro128
    today :) Got the Cat 4.5's ready to go too.
    Won't be too many *IF*'s to wonder about now. And there ain't nobody
    in this town got an X800 at all :( if they did, I'd have it.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, May 18, 2004