    renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the same
    problem.

    Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?

    John Gregory, Feb 5, 2009

  2. John Gregory

    Ron Badour Guest

    Go to the Control Panel, Automatic Updates and try turning it off. If this
    cures the problem, then turn it back on to see if the problem returns. If
    it does, then go with manual versus automatic updates.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour
    MS MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

    Ron Badour, Feb 5, 2009

  3. John Gregory

    John Gregory Guest

    It took a while to sort out, the Automatic Update menu was greyed out, and I
    had to find the correct registry keys to fix.

    Disabling the AU seems to be working, the computer started up and ran
    normally.

    Thank you for your help.

    John Gregory, Feb 5, 2009
  4. Locate wuaueng.dll in %windir%\system32, right click it, choose
    Properties, click the Version tab.
    Which V. is it, John ?
    The latest one is V. 7.2.6001.788

    Is a 3rd party firewall being used ? If so, the high CPU issue *may* be
    occurring due to the firewall blocking the Windows Update Agent [WUA]
    from contacting the update servers, thus, diabling AU will resolve the
    CPU issue, but not be needed to resolve this issue.

    AFAIK, high CPU issues associated with the WUA were *never* caused by
    wuaueng.dll, rather, the issue was caused by thread modeling involving
    the WUA and msi.dll - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/

    " The updated Windows Client changes the thread modeling to move MSI
    scans to a thread that is separate from the user interface. "

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP], Feb 5, 2009
  5. John Gregory

    John Gregory Guest

    The wuaueng.dll version is 7.1.6001.65

    Turning off windows update does solve the immediate issue of high CPU usage.
    To experiment, I tried various settings (notify... download...etc.), and
    with every one except disable, the problem occurs.

    Our IT group recently installed a new firewall with semi-disastrous results,
    however they seem to have it under control now. I have not been able to find
    anyone else who seems to be having this issue, and we all share the same
    connection and firewall.

    The article you mentioned shows WAU 3.0 update. Is this a newer version
    than what I already have? How do I find out?

    John Gregory, Feb 6, 2009
  6. > The article you mentioned shows WAU 3.0 update. Is this a newer version
    > than what I already have? How do I find out?

    It's WUA and yes, it is a later Version then the one installed on your
    system. Check the Versions of these files located in WINDOWS\system 32

    cdm.dll
    wuapi.dll
    wuauclt.exe
    wuauserv.dll
    wucltui.dll
    wups2.dll
    wups.dll
    wusetup.exe
    wuweb.dll

    They should all show V. 7.2.6001.788 to be at the latest version. If
    they are not, suggest you use the links in the KB article to obtain the
    latest and greatest.
    Stop the Windows Update service prior to installing it.
    If BITS is enabled on Startup, then stop that, too.
    Even then, you may need to add /wuforce to override the files now
    installed -
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?m=9&y=2007

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
    *-343-* FDNY