    Looking for an HP 4670 "See Thru" scanner to replace one that just died.

    Regards,

    Terry Smythe

    Terry Smythe, May 16, 2008

  2. Terry Smythe

    CSM1 Guest

    CSM1, May 17, 2008

  3. Re: HP 4670 "See Thru" Scanner

    "CSM1" () writes:
    > "Terry Smythe" <> wrote in message
    >> Wanted:
    >>
    >> Looking for an HP 4670 "See Thru" scanner to replace one that just died.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Terry Smythe
    >>

    > Try Ebay:
    > http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=HP+4670+&category0=
    >
    > Don't buy a dead one.
    > If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

    CSI Miami still uses them. Maybe they have a stash.

    Brendan

    Brendan R. Wehrung, May 17, 2008
  4. Terry Smythe

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Re: HP 4670 "See Thru" Scanner

    In message <FYrXj.1349$> "CSM1"
    <> wrote:

    >Don't buy a dead one.
    >If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.

    That may well not be the case -- I haven't looked into this particular
    item, but if you know your item has a high likelihood of selling for
    $130+ why not start the price lower and save money on the insertion
    fees, plus attract a bit more attention to your auction in the process?

    DevilsPGD, May 20, 2008
  5. Terry Smythe

    CSM1 Guest

    Re: HP 4670 "See Thru" Scanner

    "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    > In message <FYrXj.1349$> "CSM1"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Don't buy a dead one.
    >>If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.

    > That may well not be the case -- I haven't looked into this particular
    > item, but if you know your item has a high likelihood of selling for
    > $130+ why not start the price lower and save money on the insertion
    > fees, plus attract a bit more attention to your auction in the process?

    What if the only bids you get are less than the actual value of the scanner,
    are you going to sell it for much less money than it is worth.

    I sure would not put the starting bid at less than I was willing to take for
    the item.

    At $0.99 for a item that is worth $100, would scare me away. I strongly
    suspect the item is a carcass.

    If you want to buy a dead scanner, I have Minolta Scan Dual IV to sell. I
    sold the film holders.
    I will not take $0.99 for it!

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, May 20, 2008
  6. Terry Smythe

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Re: HP 4670 "See Thru" Scanner

    In message <xiBYj.62$> "CSM1"
    <> wrote:

    >"DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <FYrXj.1349$> "CSM1"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Don't buy a dead one.
    >>>If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.

    >> That may well not be the case -- I haven't looked into this particular
    >> item, but if you know your item has a high likelihood of selling for
    >> $130+ why not start the price lower and save money on the insertion
    >> fees, plus attract a bit more attention to your auction in the process?

    >What if the only bids you get are less than the actual value of the scanner,
    >are you going to sell it for much less money than it is worth.

    That's part of the gamble of an auction. Obviously eBay is more then
    pure auctions these days, but I still approach eBay from an auction
    standpoint.

    In my years of experience on eBay as a buyer, if I'm buying an item
    where there is an established minimum sell point (as there appears to be
    for this scanner), I hunt for the ones with higher start prices as they
    tend to finish lower, on average.

    >I sure would not put the starting bid at less than I was willing to take for
    >the item.

    I would, have before, and will again -- I haven't yet gotten less then
    I'd have set my initial price (or reserve). As an added bonus, the
    insertion fees are much lower.

    However, I research obsessively before I post anything for sale. I know

    >At $0.99 for a item that is worth $100, would scare me away. I strongly
    >suspect the item is a carcass.

    Anywhere but auction, I'd agree -- It's about knowing your market.

    Having spent many years watching for deals on eBay, as a seller, I'd
    definitely start low *if* the history shows similar/identical items have
    a reasonable number of bidders, and you're willing to accept the lowest
    going rate price.

    However, if not all items sell, or there is a wide variation in price
    without an explanation, then definitely set a reasonable minimum or a
    reserve.

    As a buyer, I don't care about the start price, just the final cost
    (that includes shipping) and the details which impact the item's
    insurability.

    DevilsPGD, May 21, 2008