Windows Vista worm in Internet Explorer

Reaction score
My wife's computer was infested with a worm recently.
Her screen would start cycling thru about five blank pages, never pausing on one long enough to enable any changes.
Looking back at her recent days, it would be represented by an altered "E" as is the Internet symbol for internet explorer.
The worm liked zip files, and her embroidery web pages. Each file of this type had the symbol,
Wifey pulled up all of her files, and any one that had the Internet Explorer "E".was deleted..
Most of them she didn't know anything about-----they were bogus pages.

There should be a way to search the computer for any file with this "E, and delete any such file in your system. Wifey's method was long and a lot of work. And with no assurance that , somewhere another such contaminated file still exists.
AVG Security full computer scan detected nothing, as did a Malware program. .

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Get rid of AVG and download Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's much better and it's FREE. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have to agree with Nivrip. Get rid of AVG and go for MSE or AVAST.

What malware program did you use ? If you were infrcted with a worm/virus, simply deleting the folders won't get rid of it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Pop along to BleepingComputer and ask for some assistance in making sure you are free of any nasties.

With the recent very nastie unpatched vulnerability in Internet Explorer is/was actively being used by malicious attackers that can/could allow remote code execution on an exploited computer.

It didn't matter what AV program you have ... the general consensus was to use another browser ... the vulnerability has been patched if you have updated IE/Windows, however, this 'patch' will not remove the offending nastie.

:user:

Reaction score
Go to safe mode, restart F8, install Avast! Free edition, to boot time scan, your fine.
Or format your computer.

Ask a Question