workstation service missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2006.

    Hello, Trying to setup peer to peer network. Crossover connection ok, but
    cannot transfer files.
    Found that "workstation service" is missing from unit 2.
    Used Google and found same type of problem which gave me the following
    registry information.
    Looked in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlset -
    Services) and" Lanmanworkstation" was empty and had only one sub folder
    "Parameters" which had two registry entries missing. The other missing
    subfolders are: Enum, Linkage, NetworkProvider and Security. I checked this
    with unit 1, both have the same OS, WindowsXP Home SP2 all security updates.
    Made a registry copy(from unit 1) of "Lanmanworkstation" and installed it in
    unit 2.
    Checked the services and "workstation" was now listed. Set it to Auto and
    clicked start, received a message that "workstation" could not start.
    Removed the registry entries.
    Thought I would try the above before asking for assistance.
    The unit works, so far this seems to be the only problem.
    This is a upgrade install (about 10 days ago) from Windows98se, no problems
    with installing the upgrade.
    How can I remedy this problem?
    Thank You.
    take care.
    beamish.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2006

    Check the bindings for the network adapter see if "file and printer sharing"
    is installed.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2006

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
    service.

    To see the Workstation service listed in Services...

    Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
    tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
    for Microsoft Networks | Click OK | Close

    Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    beamish <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Apr 7, 2006

    Hello, Thank You for your reply.
    File and Print Sharing and Internet Protocol, are checked.
    What is totally missing ( not there) are, Client for Microsoft Networks and
    QoS Packet Scheduler.
    take care
    beamish

    Guest, Apr 7, 2006

    Hello, "Client" is missing. As stated in second post: Client for Microsoft
    Networks and QoS Packet Scheduler are not listed. There are only two items
    listed, File and Print Sharing and Internet Protocol.
    How do I add Client and QoS to the list?
    take care
    beamish

    Guest, Apr 7, 2006

    Hello, Thank You for your reply.
    I merged the registry file (lanmanworkstation) from unit 1.
    Then followed your information and "workstation" is now in "Services" and
    set to auto and this time it started. This part of the problem is gone
    "Thanks" to your information.
    Will now attempt to share folders.
    take care
    beamish

    Guest, Apr 7, 2006

    Hello, When I click on the "Mshome icon" (My Network Places - Entire Network
    - Microsoft Windows Network - Mshome). I receive the following message:
    "Mshome is not accessible."
    "You might not have permission to use this network resource."
    "Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    permission."
    "The list of servers for this workgroup isnot currently available."
    How do I overcome this impediment?
    take care
    beamish

    Guest, Apr 7, 2006