Workplace folders in both computers are empty.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by cenderlein, Jul 28, 2009.

  1. cenderlein

    cenderlein Guest

    Running two XP Pro Sp3 computers in peer-to-peer LAN. Network was working ok
    until a few days ago.

    Now "Computer 2" (C2) can no longer access shared drives or folders of
    "Computer 1" (C1). Error message "Network path could not be found."

    Have run network setup wizard several times to no avail.

    Workplace folders in both computers are empty.

    Have searched for C2 from C1 and C2 was found. Shared Drive C: of C2 is
    listed under My Network Places of C1 and all of its folders are accessible
    from C1.

    Searching for C1 from C2 will find C1.Opening C1 folder on C2 will show
    Shared Drive C: of C1 as well as some shared folders. Trying to access drive
    C: or any of the folders still results in "Network path could not be found."

    Here are my settings:

    Simple file sharing is turned off.

    Share persmissions are set to Full Control for "Everyone" on both computers.

    NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on

    Computer Browser service is (re)started

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\restrictanonymous is
    set to 0

    NWLink IPXSPXNetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" is added to the
    "NetworkProperties" list

    The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is set to Automatic

    C1 and C2 have different names but are part of the same workgroup.

    Temporarily disabling fire wall does not help.

    Don't know what else to check and/or change. Hope somebody can help. Am
    totally frustrated!!!

    cenderlein, Jul 28, 2009

  2. cenderlein

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Everyone does not mean that a list of users names and their permission
    preference is not need to be configure on the computer shared system. It
    just meant to save time typing/checking the whole list when you want to give
    permission to every one on specific shared components.
    In general.
    To check the basic of WinXP Network, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Firewall instructions.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Sharing between Windows XP and Mac -
    http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web-resources/mac-pc-file-share.asp
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack-MVP, Jul 29, 2009

  3. cenderlein

    Daniel Guest

    Hi Cenderlein

    Is the driveror folders that you're trying to share is enable? You can
    enable sharing by right clicking on the drive or folder following by choosing
    share and ensure the share check box is tick

    Also ensure there's no third party firewall like ZA on either of the comps
    or u would need to configure it to let it pass through or else you would need
    to uninstall it if you can't get it going

    Once you get the above done, verify the IP of the comp that you're trying to
    access and map it using the IP

    Regard

    Daniel, Jul 30, 2009
  4. cenderlein

    cenderlein Guest

    Hi, thanks for your suggestions, I am still working through them. Have
    another interim question: does the user of "Computer2" have to have an
    account with the same name on "Computer1" in order to access its shared
    folders?

    Thanks again for your help.
    cenderlein

    cenderlein, Jul 30, 2009