Workgroup File - Access 2007

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Security' started by alison.justice, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. I have an issue....and it's totally my BAD!!! If anyone could give me some
    advise how to fix this I would be very grateful.

    The place I work just recently switched out our computers and upgraded our
    software from Office 2000 to Office 2007. I had created several databases in
    the Access 2000 Version with securiity. So when I went to convert my
    database to Access 2007 (this is the version I now have), it would not let me
    convert because it said I needed Administrator Permissions. So I tried to
    create new databases by importing my information from the old to the new, and
    it would not let me import my forms because of again Administrator
    Permissions, everything else came through but my forms.

    So the DUMB IDIOT that I am I thought oh well I need to re-assign the
    WorkGroup file to another WorkGroup to get rid of the old security
    features....well here comes my problem I accidently assigned it to a file
    that I stupidly thought was an Access 2007 workgroup with the extension
    ..ACCDU, and guess what yep to my amazement I now cannot even open up a new
    blank database in Access 2007. It is giving me an error message that reads:

    "Could not open table MySysAccounts in the WorkGroup Information File".

    Can anyone tell me how/where/what/etc I can go in and change it back to grab
    the old .mbd WorkGroup File?

    Because I am obviously not very BRIGHT due to my recent
    STUPIDITY.....unfortunately I'm going to need detailed (step by step)
    instruction on how to correct.

    I so appreciate anyone who can look past my ignorance to help me out.

    Thanks
    --
    Alison

    alison.justice, Apr 23, 2010

  2. Alison,

    Access 2007 ACCDB formats do not and can not use WorkGroups or User-Level
    Security. You will need to find copies of the originals, and just open them
    as MDBs. Also find the origninal WorkGroup file and rejoin that WorkGroup
    and everything should be OK. If you don't have backups, you may be in deep
    trouble.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    http://www.datastrat.com