Word to Outlook Fax Merge requires Dialog Box click for each fax.

Mark Thompson

Hello,

Outlook's security requires a mouse click for each fax
merge document being sent. The 1st dialog asks for how
long you want another program to have access to Outlook,
but after checking 10 min additional dialog boxes appear
for each fax. I'm using a fax service so I need to send
the document as an attachment. My PC is brand new running
XP Pro for an OS and Office 2003.

I already did it for a 150 document merge which was a
royal pain. I have an 800 doc merge coming up and having
to sit and click seems to negate the whole concept of a
fax merge. After searching through MS Help Online for some
time I found one reference which seemed to imply that this
is how it works, however, it did make reference dialog
boxes MAY appear. I'm wondering if there is a way that
they MAY NOT appear (or any other fix/patch/work-around
for that matter).

Any solution or guidence is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

mark

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The only way to avoid the security prompt is to use HTML as your message
format. How are you even doing this? You can't send documents as attachments
in merges to electronic mail.

Mark Thompson

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your response.

Attachments in email merges is supported. In fact you can
send multiple attachments as a single fax. Unfortunately,
HTML doesn't work for me; I need the Word doc for
recipient specific merge fields.

I'm using Intellifax service. They use the email body as a
cover page (which I leave empty, so an extra page is not
sent), and the attachment is sent "as is."

In the MS Help topic I remember it stating that the dialog
box MAY appear multiple times. I'm wondering
1) What is the setup to involk the other side of
that "MAY" they refer to?
2) Why the "Allow this program access for X minutes"
doesn't work?

Many Thanks,

mark

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Now you tell me. You're talking about third party software then about which
I would know nothing. Adding attachments in merges to electronic mail is not
supported with Microsoft Fax Services.

Surely Intellifax has figured out a way around the security prompts by now.
Have you asked them?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Mark Thompson said:
[...]

No 3rd party s/w on my machine. I just send an email w/
attachment to (e-mail address removed) and off it goes.

I'm new to their service, and haven't heard back from them
since yesterday morning. When/if I do I will post it here.
In the meantime though I thought for sure this would have
been encounter by the erstwhile folks in the MS newsgroups.

MS has a box that asks "How long would you like this
program to access Outlook" and it simply doesn't work. Is
there something I can tweak?

Cheers,

mark

[...]

Well Intellifax is certainly not a Microsoft Product. Can you at least tell
me what it is and whether you are using modem faxing or Internet Faxing? Any
of the Internet Fax Services which Outlook 2003 can use are third party
products supported by the vendor.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Mark Thompson said:
[...]

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

It's internet faxing. I tried like heck to set merge up
pointing to my fax modem, but gave up and went to the fax
service. Maybe Intellifax will have some good news. I'm
not sure what they can do in their service to stop MS
Outlook from preventing MS Word access to email after
Outlook says the program will have access for 10 minutes.
I'll keep you posted though.

mark

wrote in message
[...]

Venali was the only Internet Fax Service we were able to test in the Office
2003 beta. I was able to cobble together a workaround to do a fax merge to
it, but it wasn't easy and Venali was no help.

It certainly seems that IntelliFax has some explaining to do if it's
triggering the security prompt. Let me know what they say.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry if I haven't been clear on describing this
problem. The security prompt is triggered when Word creats
a merged document and trys to send it to Outlook as an
attachment to email. At that point Outlook keeps popping
up a dialog box for each document in the merge asking if I
want to allow another program to access Outlook. I don't
think Intellifax has anything to do with it. I did get
some good information from their tech support (appended
below). It looks like this is a known issue and can be
dealt with my customizing some add-ins. Since that level
is a bit beyond me I opted for the referenced external
program ClickYes. This should emulate the clicking. I
haven't tested it yet, but I plan to do another merge on
Friday. I will post the results.

From Intellifax ...
************************
Mark, Thanks for contacting IntelliFax.

With regard to the problem that you are experiencing when
running a mege, I found an article that I believe sheds
some light on the subject. It seems that this is part of
an Outlook Security upgrade. See
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec for
more information.

Mike Meixler
215-293-0919
*************************

Rgds,

mark

wrote in message
[...]

Indeed. That is the same security prompt I mentioned earlier. The only way
to overcome it is to use HTML as your message format.
If this is a mail merge to electronic mail, you cannot attach a file. How do
you get IntelliFax to accept a fax merge?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Mark Thompson said:
Hi Russ,

I'm sorry if I haven't been clear on describing this
problem. The security prompt is triggered when Word creats
a merged document and trys to send it to Outlook as an
attachment to email. At that point Outlook keeps popping
up a dialog box for each document in the merge asking if I
want to allow another program to access Outlook. I don't
think Intellifax has anything to do with it. I did get
some good information from their tech support (appended
below). It looks like this is a known issue and can be
dealt with my customizing some add-ins. Since that level
is a bit beyond me I opted for the referenced external
program ClickYes. This should emulate the clicking. I
haven't tested it yet, but I plan to do another merge on
Friday. I will post the results.

From Intellifax ...