    I have a header and footer set up as our company letterhead. When the doc
    becomes longer than 1 page the footer alignment becomes distorted on pages 2
    and beyond. Any suggestions?

    JCarr22, Sep 3, 2009

  2. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm for an explanation of
    the correct way to set up letterhead for multiple-page letters.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 3, 2009

  3. JCarr22

    Stefan Blom Guest

    It seems as if you have the "Different first page" option checked (in Page
    Setup), which means that there actually is a different footer (and header)
    for the second and subsequent pages. You can fix the formatting of that
    footer without affecting the first page footer.

    If you want more specific suggestions, try to explain how the footer is
    "distorted."

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Sep 3, 2009
  4. JCarr22

    JCarr22 Guest

    This is actually a one page doc, however, it overflows into 2 or more pages
    depending on how much text the user adds to it...I checked to see if the
    'diff first page' option was ckd and it is not. The footer alignment becomes
    jumbled up when a 2nd page is forced. The 1st page footer is spaced from the
    left to the rt margins and with about 4 lines of text. When it becomes
    distorted the text is no longer spaced evenly and also has blank lines
    between the text lines. Since page 2 does not exist unless page 1 becomes
    too long, I do not know how to 'fix' page 2. Thanks!

    JCarr22, Sep 3, 2009
  5. JCarr22

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Do the following to determine if there are more than one footer in the
    document: Temporarily insert a page break so that you can see the second
    page. If you place the insertion point in the footer of the second page,
    does Word then show "Footer -Section 2-" or something similar on the dotted
    line that separates the footer from the main body of the document?

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Sep 3, 2009
  6. JCarr22

    JCarr22 Guest

    I think that I have done what you suggested...I placed a page break in the 1
    page doc...thus forcing the 2nd page. The footer on the 2nd page then shows
    -- 'footer -section 2'. That is the footer that has its alignment all
    jumbled up. Any thoughts from here? Thanks!

    JCarr22, Sep 4, 2009
  7. JCarr22

    JCarr22 Guest

    JCarr22, Sep 4, 2009
  8. JCarr22

    Stefan Blom Guest

    This is not about margins; it's about the footer contents. It might be that
    the footer has a negative indent applied, so that text runs into the margin.
    After you have fixed the formatting, just delete the temporary page break.

    If you don't see how to fix the section 2 footer, link it back to the
    corresponding footer of the previous section: Click the Same as Previous (or
    Link to Previous) button on the Header and Footer toolbar (Word 97-2003). If
    you are using Word 2007, click Link to Previous on the Header & Footer Tools
    Design tab. When you are done, delete the temporary page break.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Sep 4, 2009
  9. JCarr22

    JCarr22 Guest

    Could this be a margin issue? I noticed that the page 1 footer has different
    margin settings than any subsequent footers. As I said, this is a 1 page
    doc, but often it is lengtened to force 2 or more pages (footers). I changed
    the page 1 footer to apply margins to "whole doc" and "this point forward"
    but the page 2 footer still was created with different margins.

    JCarr22, Sep 4, 2009
  10. JCarr22

    Stefan Blom Guest

    To clarify: linking the footers means that they will have the same contents,
    not only the same formatting.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Sep 4, 2009
  11. JCarr22

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Not if the "margin" problem is with the footer only. I'm guessing
    indentation is the problem (see my other reply).

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Sep 4, 2009
  12. JCarr22

    JCarr22 Guest

    Thanks for all the help...I was probably not real clear in the description,
    but ended up getting the problem fixed by using a page insert to adjust the
    footer margins on tthe 2nd page footer...saving the doc...then opening the
    doc back up and deleting the page insert and saving it again as a 1 page doc.
    Now when a page 2 is forced it uses the new margin settings for the footer
    on page 2. Thanks again!

    JCarr22, Sep 4, 2009
  13. JCarr22

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Clarification:

    I'm referring to left and right margins here, which the footer (and header)
    share with the page (or actually with the section).

    Footers do have a bottom margin and headers have a top margin, as determined
    by the "From edge" option in the Page Setup dialog box.

    Stefan Blom, Sep 5, 2009
  14. JCarr22

    Stefan Blom Guest

    It's not clear which settings you actually changed, but I'm glad that you
    got it sorted.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP