    Tried everything I could find on the MS site - nothing works.

    Help!

    Thanks

    Guest, Jul 7, 2005

  2. You need to get rid of the lock files. See here:

    http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

    --
    Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

    Margaret Aldis, Jul 7, 2005

    Nope Didn't work either!

    Guest, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Sorry, I think I completely misread your message - can't think now why I
    thought it was anything to do with lock files!

    I see Beth Melton has answered a similar question thus:

    You need to check your "Environment Variables" on the Advanced tab in System
    Properties. It sounds like the Temp folder is either invalid or it points to
    folder you don't have sufficient permissions for.

    Does this help?

    Is this happening on every file, or one specific file?

    Margaret Aldis, Jul 7, 2005

    It happens on more than one file. All on a network drive (Does the same if
    the files are copied to the local drive).

    As for the environment variables (same error happens even when logged in as
    administrator). I also changed to a directory EVERYONE has access to and
    still the error.

    Guest, Jul 7, 2005
  6. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302629 "WD2000: 'Word
    Cannot Create the Work File' Error Message When You Open a File".
    But instead of deleting the Normal.dot file, it would be better
    to rename it to Normal.old or Normal.temp or something else; this
    will allow you to copy macros, toolbars, formatted autocorrect
    entries, etc., from the old Normal.dot to the new Normal.dot.

    garfield-n-odie, Jul 8, 2005

    Nope No help with the Normal.dot file.

    And Nothing at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302629 works either.

    - Frustrated!