Word 2007 Skips Lines When Printing Labels

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by JimG, Jan 25, 2010.

  1. JimG

    JimG Guest

    Hi:

    In Word 2007 when creating labels, the document will leave blank lines if
    there is no information for a field for the recipient. For example, I have a
    field called "Company" for the recipient's company name, but if the person
    didn't give me a company name for that field for their mailing information,
    the line then shows as a blank space on their mailing label. But in Word 2002
    this didn't happen to me and the software just moved the next line in the
    person's address information up one line, so that there was no blank line in
    the recipient's mailing information at all.

    Is there any way that I can change this feature in Word 2007 so that it
    works the same way as it did for me back in Word 2002?

    Thanks.

    Jim

    JimG, Jan 25, 2010

  2. JimG

    Graham Mayor Guest

    While you can still use the old mail merge helper which has the option to
    suppress blank lines. The simplest method is to not use the address block
    field and to conditionally insert fields which may be empty and the
    preceding line break on the line above eg

    {Mailmerge Name}{If {Mailmerge Company} <> "" "
    {Mailmerge Company}"}
    {Mailmerge Address1}

    See http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm
    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Jan 25, 2010

  3. JimG

    JimG Guest

    Graham:

    Thanks for your answer. What do the three quotation marks mean in the
    following that you wrote?:

    {Mailmerge Name}{If {Mailmerge Company} <> "" "

    Thanks again.

    Jim

    JimG, Jan 29, 2010
  4. JimG

    Graham Mayor Guest

    The fiirst pair signifies an empty string i.e. if mergefield company is not
    equal to nothing. (<> "")

    The second quote signifies the start of the result to enter when the
    condition is met and is followed by pressing enter, thus the line break is
    part of the result. The closing quote which marks the end of the result is
    after {Mergefield Company}. When you enter this you use CTRL+F9 for the
    brackets {} and press the enter key only at ¶

    Graham Mayor, Jan 29, 2010