    equation in a box, and then line them up by the '=' sign. I've tried to do
    that in the new editor, but I can't find any way to do this. How can it be
    done?

    Guest, Jun 11, 2006

  2. If you have the equations following one another with only a end of paragraph
    mark (¶) separating them so that you can select them all and nothing else,
    then you right click, there is an item on the right click menu for aligning
    the equations at the = sign.

    Invoking this feature results in the paragraph mark after the first equation
    being replace by a new line character and the resulting single paragraph is
    formatted as "justified"

    Funny things start to happen if you then try to insert additional line
    breaks between the equations to add some text in between.

    Note however, that under the "Text" chunk on the Insert tab, you can select
    OLE Object (the bottom right hand icon in the chunk) and via that, you can
    insert a Microsoft Equation 3.0 object. That may allow you to retain the
    old functionality.

    --
    Hope this helps.

    services on a paid consulting basis.

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP, Jun 11, 2006

  3. If you have the equations following one another with only a end of paragraph

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP, Jun 11, 2006

    Hi Doug,

    Thanks very much, I see it now.

    Also, I have discovered by typing '\eqarray' and space, you can format
    equations with ='s signs lining up similar to how you would with LaTeX.
    (These latex-style auto completes are a really good idea!). Also, while there
    seemed to be a limitation on size of matrices, I have found this can be
    overcome by typing the equations in 'linear' mode, and then switching back to
    professional viewing.

    Guest, Jun 12, 2006

    Guest, Jun 12, 2006

    I have a somewhat related question:

    The equation editor appears to be unavailable for me. That is, the icon is
    there under the Insert --> Symbols menue, but is not clickable. Meanwhile the
    Symbol icon is clickable.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    - Max

    Guest, Jun 13, 2006

    Umm... nevermind. I just found this discussion:

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...-office-word&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

    Going into the Add/Remove Programs dialogue solves the problem.

    Thanks!

    Guest, Jun 13, 2006