Won't let me create New Folders

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by JuneBug, May 19, 2008.

  1. JuneBug

    JuneBug Guest

    After a month or two honeymoon with my new computer last summer, Windows
    Vista quit letting me create new file folders!!! This is really, really
    annoying, needless to say. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell
    me how to fix this.

    The other thing is that Windows Vista crashed this weekend and lost some of
    my files - and the start menu quit working. I think some of the indexes got
    screwed up or something. I don't know what brought this on except that we had
    a couple of power failures - and the machine doesn't seem to run chkdsk
    automatically on restart. If I started the machine and walked away and didn't
    see the prompt, then I've been using a 'dirty disk' for a week or two and it
    finally crashed. Or I also installed wireless networking. Also Windows Update
    downloads automatically and could have downloaded something incompatible with
    my software. So who knows what might have caused this ...

    I couldn't restore either - now if I ask for Windows restore, it comes up
    with an error message.

    I've been using DOS and windows machines for 20 years and I've never had
    this happen to me before. I've always had virus checkers and been
    conscientious about backing up my data.

    I'm not too happy at the prospect of having a crippled machine.

    JuneBug, May 19, 2008

  2. JuneBug

    propman Guest

    JuneBug wrote:
    > After a month or two honeymoon with my new computer last summer, Windows
    > Vista quit letting me create new file folders!!! This is really, really
    > annoying, needless to say. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell
    > me how to fix this.
    >
    > The other thing is that Windows Vista crashed this weekend and lost some of
    > my files - and the start menu quit working. I think some of the indexes got
    > screwed up or something. I don't know what brought this on except that we had
    > a couple of power failures - and the machine doesn't seem to run chkdsk
    > automatically on restart. If I started the machine and walked away and didn't
    > see the prompt, then I've been using a 'dirty disk' for a week or two and it
    > finally crashed. Or I also installed wireless networking. Also Windows Update
    > downloads automatically and could have downloaded something incompatible with
    > my software. So who knows what might have caused this ...
    >
    > I couldn't restore either - now if I ask for Windows restore, it comes up
    > with an error message.
    >
    > I've been using DOS and windows machines for 20 years and I've never had
    > this happen to me before. I've always had virus checkers and been
    > conscientious about backing up my data.
    >
    > I'm not too happy at the prospect of having a crippled machine.

    Safe Mode - F8 key at bootup, remember? :)

    Try booting into safe mode, see what happens, run scandisk etc. Take it
    from there. From my experience, a lot of these problems are rectified
    just by booting into safe mode and then immediately rebooting into
    regular mode.

    propman, May 19, 2008

  3. JuneBug

    JuneBug Guest

    Thanks, I'll give that a try - actually I think I did boot up in Safe Mode
    once or twice - but only to run chkdsk - and by then it was too late.

    JuneBug

    JuneBug, May 19, 2008
  4. JuneBug

    JuneBug Guest

    Yeah. I was afraid of that.

    Unfortunately when they sell you computers these days, they don't include
    the operating system cds. So I guess I'll just have to purchase some of
    those from Best Buy or Gateway or whoever.

    However, it quit letting me create new file folders a looong time ago - so
    I'm thinking that problem is unrelated to the disk crash.

    Anybody have any ideas? Could I have inadvertently altered some setting to
    not allow me to create new file folders?

    Thanks,

    JuneBug

    JuneBug, May 19, 2008
  5. JuneBug,

    When they sell you computers these days 'they are obliged to supply you with
    an option to re-install the operating system' that means either a set of
    recovery disks or an image of the operating system on a hidden partition on
    your computer. If none came with your PC then contact the supply and demand
    to know where they are. A computer with no way of recovery is totally
    useless. You should 'not' have to pay for something that should be there by
    default.

    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    Windows Desktop Experience

    Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

    mail/post..

    John Barnett MVP, May 19, 2008
  6. On Mon, 19 May 2008 07:59:02 -0700, JuneBug
    <> wrote:

    >After a month or two honeymoon with my new computer last summer, Windows
    >Vista quit letting me create new file folders!!! This is really, really
    >annoying, needless to say. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell
    >me how to fix this.
    >
    >The other thing is that Windows Vista crashed this weekend and lost some of
    >my files - and the start menu quit working. I think some of the indexes got
    >screwed up or something. I don't know what brought this on except that we had
    >a couple of power failures - and the machine doesn't seem to run chkdsk
    >automatically on restart. If I started the machine and walked away and didn't
    >see the prompt, then I've been using a 'dirty disk' for a week or two and it
    >finally crashed. Or I also installed wireless networking. Also Windows Update
    >downloads automatically and could have downloaded something incompatible with
    >my software. So who knows what might have caused this ...
    >
    >I couldn't restore either - now if I ask for Windows restore, it comes up
    >with an error message.
    >
    >I've been using DOS and windows machines for 20 years and I've never had
    >this happen to me before. I've always had virus checkers and been
    >conscientious about backing up my data.
    >
    >I'm not too happy at the prospect of having a crippled machine.

    If you've had multiple power failures and aren't running a UPS then
    very likely your file system got damaged based on what you're seeing.
    You can always run chkdsk MANUALLY. Have you? From a command prompt?

    NEVER run Windows Update automatically. It simply can't be trusted.
    You seem close to the point where throwing in the towel in the long
    run will waste less time. Little point in running a crippled system,
    time to reinstall Windows. If you haven't yet you could also try a
    repair if you have a Vista DVD.

    Adam Albright, May 19, 2008
  7. JuneBug

    propman Guest

    JuneBug wrote:
    > Yeah. I was afraid of that.
    >
    > Unfortunately when they sell you computers these days, they don't include
    > the operating system cds. So I guess I'll just have to purchase some of
    > those from Best Buy or Gateway or whoever.

    As a couple of others have stated, there are usually backup cab files
    etc include but installed on a hidden partition...which is probably why
    you haven't noticed it when you've been using your file manager. There
    are programs available that will let one observe this partition though I
    can't think of any right now off the top of my head.....googling should
    return some pretty fast results though.

    > However, it quit letting me create new file folders a looong time ago - so
    > I'm thinking that problem is unrelated to the disk crash.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas? Could I have inadvertently altered some setting to
    > not allow me to create new file folders?

    Not totally up to date here on all the ins and outs of Vista's
    permissions settings but it's definitely one aspect you should check
    out.......if I remember correctly, there are the general settings and
    then a more detailed subgroup of settings which can be refined. Check
    to make sure you have total administrator rights over your whole system
    and also make sure you have permissions access for making new folders
    while logged on as "user" rather than "administrator".

    PS If I remember correctly, the MS has a tutorial on Vista's new
    permissions capabilities.

    propman, May 19, 2008
  8. JuneBug

    Bill Yanaire Guest

    "Adam Albright" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 07:59:02 -0700, JuneBug
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>After a month or two honeymoon with my new computer last summer, Windows
    >>Vista quit letting me create new file folders!!! This is really, really
    >>annoying, needless to say. I would really appreciate it if someone could
    >>tell
    >>me how to fix this.
    >>
    >>The other thing is that Windows Vista crashed this weekend and lost some
    >>of
    >>my files - and the start menu quit working. I think some of the indexes
    >>got
    >>screwed up or something. I don't know what brought this on except that we
    >>had
    >>a couple of power failures - and the machine doesn't seem to run chkdsk
    >>automatically on restart. If I started the machine and walked away and
    >>didn't
    >>see the prompt, then I've been using a 'dirty disk' for a week or two and
    >>it
    >>finally crashed. Or I also installed wireless networking. Also Windows
    >>Update
    >>downloads automatically and could have downloaded something incompatible
    >>with
    >>my software. So who knows what might have caused this ...
    >>
    >>I couldn't restore either - now if I ask for Windows restore, it comes up
    >>with an error message.
    >>
    >>I've been using DOS and windows machines for 20 years and I've never had
    >>this happen to me before. I've always had virus checkers and been
    >>conscientious about backing up my data.
    >>
    >>I'm not too happy at the prospect of having a crippled machine.

    > If you've had multiple power failures and aren't running a UPS then
    > very likely your file system got damaged based on what you're seeing.
    > You can always run chkdsk MANUALLY. Have you? From a command prompt?
    >
    > NEVER run Windows Update automatically. It simply can't be trusted.
    > You seem close to the point where throwing in the towel in the long
    > run will waste less time. Little point in running a crippled system,
    > time to reinstall Windows. If you haven't yet you could also try a
    > repair if you have a Vista DVD.

    Amazing. You gave some good advice without insulting anyone. Very good
    Adam. There is hope for you after all.

    Bill Yanaire, May 19, 2008
  9. On Mon, 19 May 2008 14:30:44 -0700, "Bill Yanaire" <>
    wrote:

    >"Adam Albright" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 07:59:02 -0700, JuneBug
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>After a month or two honeymoon with my new computer last summer, Windows
    >>>Vista quit letting me create new file folders!!! This is really, really
    >>>annoying, needless to say. I would really appreciate it if someone could
    >>>tell
    >>>me how to fix this.
    >>>
    >>>The other thing is that Windows Vista crashed this weekend and lost some
    >>>of
    >>>my files - and the start menu quit working. I think some of the indexes
    >>>got
    >>>screwed up or something. I don't know what brought this on except that we
    >>>had
    >>>a couple of power failures - and the machine doesn't seem to run chkdsk
    >>>automatically on restart. If I started the machine and walked away and
    >>>didn't
    >>>see the prompt, then I've been using a 'dirty disk' for a week or two and
    >>>it
    >>>finally crashed. Or I also installed wireless networking. Also Windows
    >>>Update
    >>>downloads automatically and could have downloaded something incompatible
    >>>with
    >>>my software. So who knows what might have caused this ...
    >>>
    >>>I couldn't restore either - now if I ask for Windows restore, it comes up
    >>>with an error message.
    >>>
    >>>I've been using DOS and windows machines for 20 years and I've never had
    >>>this happen to me before. I've always had virus checkers and been
    >>>conscientious about backing up my data.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not too happy at the prospect of having a crippled machine.

    >> If you've had multiple power failures and aren't running a UPS then
    >> very likely your file system got damaged based on what you're seeing.
    >> You can always run chkdsk MANUALLY. Have you? From a command prompt?
    >>
    >> NEVER run Windows Update automatically. It simply can't be trusted.
    >> You seem close to the point where throwing in the towel in the long
    >> run will waste less time. Little point in running a crippled system,
    >> time to reinstall Windows. If you haven't yet you could also try a
    >> repair if you have a Vista DVD.
    >>

    >Amazing. You gave some good advice without insulting anyone. Very good
    >Adam. There is hope for you after all.

    Must be 90% of my posts are too far over your head for you to even
    begin to grasp what I'm talking about.

    Adam Albright, May 19, 2008
  10. JuneBug

    JuneBug Guest

    "Adam Albright" wrote:

    > If you've had multiple power failures and aren't running a UPS then
    > very likely your file system got damaged based on what you're seeing.
    > You can always run chkdsk MANUALLY. Have you? From a command prompt?
    >
    > NEVER run Windows Update automatically. It simply can't be trusted.
    > You seem close to the point where throwing in the towel in the long
    > run will waste less time. Little point in running a crippled system,
    > time to reinstall Windows. If you haven't yet you could also try a
    > repair if you have a Vista DVD.

    "Never run Windows Update automatically" - I've heard those words before. I
    guess I'm just too trusting. Or lazy. :)

    Yes, I did run chkdsk afterwards. The system did something on its own as
    well without me telling it to - maybe it ran chkdsk automatically - if so, it
    wasn't the old chkdsk I know and love - it seemed to be repairing all kinds
    of indexes - I guess what I'm saying is that it did a lot more than I
    remember the chkdsk on my previous systems doing. But I also ran chkdsk
    afterwards.

    So far some of my data files have 0 content or size - so my current backup
    is shot to hell because I don't want to inadvertently overwrite good files
    with bad ones - and it is a hefty one. (20 years without a disk crash, you
    can imagine) ;)

    Actually my programs seem to be working - but the Start Menu shortcuts for
    some of them got trashed - so I've recreated some of those. The other issue
    is that I cannot upgrade all my programs to the latest versions - especially
    since I got cut back to part time - I simply cannot afford it. But I did the
    compatibility check and my programs were all working fairly well albeit with
    a few quirks, especially Dreamweaver MX. So I hope they weren't slowly
    trashing the hard drive. If so, it took them a year to do it. They also may
    have something to do with my not being able to create file folders?

    You all are right - I may have to do a total reinstall, but I'll have to
    wait to find a huge block of time to be able to do that. This is so
    inconvenient - a pox on Vista!

    Anyway, no one has come forth with any ideas about why the system won't let
    me create new file folders - this started happening shortly after I got the
    computer last summer and way before the above mentioned power failures. Is
    there some kind of setting that takes away your option to create file folders?

    JuneBug, May 20, 2008
  11. JuneBug

    JuneBug Guest

    re: Thanks to both you and propman for that information

    Thanks to both of you for that information. I bought the computer, a Gateway,
    at Best Buy, and I didn't realize it had that - or if they told me, I forgot.
    Geez. I will call them or get out my manual and find out how to use this.

    JuneBug, May 20, 2008
  12. JuneBug

    JuneBug Guest

    Again, thank you for the suggestion. I tried looking around for settings, but
    I don't have much experience with Windows system administration, and I didn't
    have any luck finding anything. I will try what you suggested.

    JuneBug, May 20, 2008
  13. On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:38:08 -0700, JuneBug
    <> wrote:

    >Anyway, no one has come forth with any ideas about why the system won't let
    >me create new file folders - this started happening shortly after I got the
    >computer last summer and way before the above mentioned power failures. Is
    >there some kind of setting that takes away your option to create file folders?

    I did a little searching at Google and came upon the following thread
    which offers some possible suggestions.

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/archive/index.php/t-162334.html

    It is possible one of your applications added something to the
    right-click options thus interfering with some of Vista's standard
    options for right click on making/renaming folders. Also could be some
    Microsoft Update that's causing this. You can disable any/all Windows
    Updates then put them back one a time to try to find what if any are
    causing this.

    If you got the time before totally reinstalling your system I would
    give one of the many Registry Cleaners a shot. Since almost all let
    you scan your system for free once you download the sample, but don't
    actually change anything unless you buy it you'll get a detailed list
    of the "problems". The time consuming part is to one by one step
    through them all and see if anything impacts your particular problem.
    Something in your Registry is probably cross linked or not configured
    correctly or one or more of Vista's system files are corrupt or
    missing. The problem of course is trying to find out what exactly.

    Adam Albright, May 20, 2008