Bargain wntd: GOOD CHEAPEST PC SYSTEM FOR AROUND £400 IN UK?? **

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am wanting to buy a PC system for a child.
Budget is around £400. The Pc will be used for general school work and Games, so i guess it should have a decent graphics card that will play most games. Also I would prefer a 15inch TFT monitor if thats possible. Not bothered about a printer/scanner for the time being.

Any links for websites/shops would be most appreciated. Im in the UK.

Thanks in advance!

D

Reaction score
erm... nope.

There is only one make i can think of that does things that cheap... but i wont say it, as they are officially the worst make in the world :(

Can you build your own?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
There is only one make i can think of that does things that cheap... but i wont say it, as they are officially the worst make in the world :(

Must be talking about Time/Tiny then......:D

Reaction score
Are there any others for less than £400 inc. TFT?

You would be able to get a CRT with it for that price...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You can get a base unit for £299 from Computer Electronics http://www.computerelectronics.co.uk/acatalog/CE68.html

Intel 2.8 GHz
512 MB DDR400 Corsair Memory
82GB Seagate Hard Disk
Award Winning ASUS Motherboard
52x32x52 CDRW OR 16x48 DVD ROM
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB Graphics With TV-OUT
Sony Floppy Drive
6 Channel Sound (5.1 Surround Sound)
8x USB2 Ports
Firewire
Serial ATA
10/100 Ethernet LAN Adapter
Midi Tower Case

I got a PC from there over a year ago, they are well built with good quality components and good to deal with.

However it only leaves £100 for a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers - so a TFT is going to be out of the question...:(

Reaction score
If i can get a decent computer for that in the U.S., then with the 1.76 exchange rate from dollars to euro's should deffinetly be possible. Do you know what games you will be running? Knowing that would help alot in finding out how much would need to be spent on the gfx card.

What are your capabilities... Is it possible for you or someone you know to put the pieces together for you so you can build your own? Or how bout just someone able to put a different gfx card in the computer for you?

I dont know many UK sites for shopping so I'm not much help there, but i know the price you mentioned... even in Dollars is possible, so if you look long enough, you should be able to find a pre-built that will fit your needs.

Good luck, Cheers.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Its OK for you in the US Moco, but we get ripped off on prices over here - not just in comparison to the States, but other European countries as well........:mad:

Reaction score
Ady, dont forget that that PC you found has no OS, it costs £75 for XP Home, and £120 for Pro...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Another vote for http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mnhttp://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mnDell ... however, stay clear of anything Celeron ... A Dell DimensionTM 3000 starts at £271 special "last day Sale today". :cool:

If you want a TFT/LCD then it will cost you more, and if you don't get one specifically for 'games' then don't bother ... a good CRT will still beat a TFT for playing games. (Yes TFT/LCD converted, I know you know what to look for)

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a Dimension 3000 on its way sometime next week, so I'll let you know what its like once it arrives.

The "D03306a" model comes with a 17" TFT for about £360, thats the one I went for :) It was a celeron though, so if you are after playing games I'd do as Mucks suggest and go for a non-celeron machine.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Ady, dont forget that that PC you found has no OS, it costs £75 for XP Home, and £120 for Pro...
Good point KGB, didn't spot that...:blush:

DELL are great - but I see the 3000 uses Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2, is that going to be OK for gaming?
Also they want another £141 to upgrade to a Pentium4, and £82 to go from 256MB Ram to 512.

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Unsure on intergrated graphics, never like them... and now Intel is trying to get rid of sound cards with thier HD audio!!:mad:

Ask a Question