    choice of using AES or TKIP algorithms.

    Which offers better security- and are there any trade-offs?

    Doc

    J.H. Holliday, May 31, 2005

  2. J.H. Holliday

    Ron Lowe Guest

    "J.H. Holliday" <doc@okcorral> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've got my Linksys wireless router set for WPA-PSK security and have the
    > choice of using AES or TKIP algorithms.
    >
    > Which offers better security- and are there any trade-offs?
    >
    > Doc

    AES it the encryption used with the newer WPA2 ( 802.11i ) standard.
    If the AP and client support it, then select it.

    Here's a brief article about it ( the first hit on google ):
    http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/wpa-vs-80211i.php

    --
    Best Regards
    Ron Lowe

    Ron Lowe, May 31, 2005

  3. J.H. Holliday

    Guest

    Hi -

    AES has stronger encryption than TKIP and therefore requires more
    processing power to decrypt - if you absolutely must have the best
    without going to a third party solution like AirFortress I'd use AES.

    Hope this helps -

    , May 31, 2005
  4. J.H. Holliday

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    If you care for basic explanation, may be this can help:
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Jun 1, 2005
  5. J.H. Holliday

    FromtheRight

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Nook, 2nd Edition will NOT connect with AES. It will connect with TKIP. All of my other wifi toys connect perfectly using AES.

    FromtheRight, Jun 20, 2011
  6. J.H. Holliday

    Kathy V

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the info. I got my Nook, 2nd edition 3 weeks ago. I could not connect to the "store". I spoke to tech support at Barnes and Noble, who did not help me at all. I'm not happy that I have to change my security settings to use my Nook, but I'm glad I finally know why it was not working. I wish that the tech support could have told me that it would not work with AES. I am still considering returning it,not sure I want to use TKIP instead of AES. I'm not savvy enough to know how much more secure AES is, but believe it is more secure than TKIP. Thanks for helping me to make the Nook 2nd edition work.

    Kathy V, Jun 24, 2011