Wireless Networking signal woes!

Reaction score
im trying to share my internet connection usuing a wireless router (linkysys)

as u all probably remeebr i was looking long and hard for a router and in the end i went for a linksys. it is a good router so far is served me well, but for one thing only, wireless networking.

at the minute got my router conencted directly to computer 1. the net is fine. and on computer 2 i have a wireless 54g card linksys aswell. im trying to share the internet connection. for a start i am going through 3 walls including ceilings. yes i know this is a lot! what happens is sometimes the wireless network will get detected but the signal is low and there are only two bars out of five. the speed starts at 18mbps and goes down to 11mbs then finally 5.5mb, stays here for a bit, i can do net surfing can do anyhing it works fine. then after a while i get to 2mb then 1mb and the NETWORK IS UNAVAIBLE! and i noticed that trying to file share is IMPOSSIBLE as soon as i am on 18mbs i tried to send something over the network and BANG itll go down. so i just want to share my net connection really!

try to search for a network it just wont find anything. tis really gets to me. i understand i have a wireless channel range from 1 to 13. i been up and down my stairs 50 times more than ever changing this. the best channel for me seems to be number 7, and its on this channel i barely get a signal. ive moved the router around. makes no difference.

im thinking of getting one of these antennas, to boost the signal. i know its far and that but does any1 think itll work?

what are your thoughts on how i can boost my signal?

thanks

Reaction score
Didn't you already post this problem, or was it someone else? anyway...

The only way it will work is if you put the access point in the middle of the PC's, then you should have enough range. - what internet do you use (Broadband, ISDN, dial-up)

or if you buy a range extender (£££!)

KGB

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Didn't you already post this problem, or was it someone else? anyway...

The only way it will work is if you put the access point in the middle of the PC's, then you should have enough range. - what internet do you use (Broadband, ISDN, dial-up)

or if you buy a range extender (£££!)

KGB

cheers

nah it wont me that posted this be4. anyways thats something i am going to do in the long run put the router inbetween the 2 pcs. because im gona get a third system. but thats a long run thing! im sharing bband not dialup.

its such a swine that it dont work! really annoys me!!!!!!

Reaction score
if you are using broadband, is there any reason why it has to be connected to a pc?

just get an ADSL modem, plug it in, set it up, and poof! it works!

Reaction score
yes kgb i like this idea!! what are you a Russian Genius:)

yes there is a reason whyi havent done this.

its cuz i want to be able to monitor my network if i dont connect it to a pc then i cant access the router and change the settings if i need to and the other thing is i aint got a wireless pci card for pc1! prbably need to invest there. either way its gona cost me money init

Reaction score
psd99 said:
yes kgb i like this idea!! what are you a Russian Genius:)
No, but i am a Brittish geuius!

psd99 said:
prbably need to invest there. either way its gona cost me money init
if you get an "range extention" it will cost you a lot more than if you got a PCI card! - i don't know about the monitering, i use an apple airport express, and you can moniter that wirelessly:D

Reaction score
but the KGB are Russian! and the mi5 are British!!!! :) lol
oh well............... ive been watching too many 007 films

yes thats good about your apple thing sounds good u can acces it wirelessly.

nah but ive seen these aireal things for a tenner, but i bet they r ****e though too! ill try get my third pc up and running. itll be inbetween the two pcs. then ill buy a wireless card for pc1 and fingers crossed itll be alrite!

but if u got any oyher ideas in the meantims id be grateful!!

Reaction score
If you are going to buy a PCI card anyway, why don't you buy one, set erverything up in between the PC's and just not moniter it for a while until you get the new PC running.

Or...You could just use the PC where the connection is plugged it to!!!

Reaction score
on a wireless network witha router, you can access the routers interface from any machine.

are all the wireless devices configured to use the same channel?

i run a wireless network and it works fine anywhere in the house, i've had the same prob with the connection getting slower and slower then disconecting, it is usually because you have somethig incorrectly configured either on the router or pc.

Reaction score
Techy said:
on a wireless network witha router, you can access the routers interface from any machine.

are all the wireless devices configured to use the same channel?

i run a wireless network and it works fine anywhere in the house, i've had the same prob with the connection getting slower and slower then disconecting, it is usually because you have somethig incorrectly configured either on the router or pc.

ive olnly got one router techy and i run this on channel number 7. i got 1 pci card. im very sure that i dont have to change my wireless channel on the pci card? cuz i dont know how to if theres a way let me know please.

BINGO i was typing in the wrong address in internet explorer. i can acess the wireless router wirelessly. problem 1 solved then eh!!! cheers!

Reaction score
the channel has to be set on each wireless device, router, access point, w/network adapter the lot.

Reaction score
Techy w/network adapter the lot.[/QUOTE said:
i dont agree with u there Techy, how do i set up the wireless channel on my wireless pci card. if this can be done i think itll sort my problem out..

but im sure that the wireless pci card picks up any network on any channel and nothing specific such as channel 7 or channel 8!
prove me wrong.

Reaction score
depending on how they're setup they will pick up a wireless signal on any channel. but if your router/wap is configured to work on a certain channel and your computer is setup to work on a different one then they won't see each other.

windows xp should automatically configure the wireless to coincide with the router/wap. that is if you have selected "use windows to configure my wireless network" if not you will need to manually configure this. to do this is XP you will need to use the wireless network wizard or the software supplied with your adapter.

J

Ask a Question