Wireless network drops every 3 minutes then comes back up.

Reaction score
Ello,

back with another intresting problem.
I've been installing this wireless network for my neighbour.
He has a simple amd 1 ghz desktop, a wireless access point which is connected to his router, and a laptop with a pcmcia card. So far so good.
After installing the wireless program from edimax on the laptop we are almost ready to go.
I configure the desktop pc as 192.168.0.1, the laptop as 0.2, and the wireless access point as 0.254. When I fireup XP on the laptop, everything works like a charm.
Then I select go online (stupid edimax program wont go online automatically) and the connection is established with the wireless access point. I've set the restrictions to WEP, an encrypted 128 bits key, and also mac address filtering. The funny thing is, every 3 minutes, the connection gets dropped, after that I have to select the "go online" option in the edimax menu again, and plop, there I am again.
After many nights of mindboggling searching for what could be interfering with this connection, I found several possible answers.
Dect telephones and other hardware in the neighbourhood can cause interference with the frequency the wireless network is using. However, when you are online for 3 minutes, the signal is 100%. Even when I put the laptop right beside the accesspoint, 2 cm away from it, the signal drops after 3 minutes.
The other solution I found, which seems to work, is when you select the Wireless Network settings in the Network Options, there is an option to "Let windows configure your wireless network settings".
When you turn it on, the network gets established. Right after you went online, you need to turn that option off again, and after that you will stay online for as long as you want, until you reboot. Now I know its not a proper solution to the problem I've described above, but at least it works, and it also proves it has nothing to do with interference of any other hardware in the region. My question now is, why is XP trying to drop/reroute the connection even if the signal is 100%, after which I get online right away again for the next 3 minutes. And, if I turn off the 'let windows configure your ****' option, is there a way to configure it once so I wont have to turn it on and then off everytime I need to go online with the laptop?

All suggestions appreciated :)

Reaction score
HI,

I use a wireless network, and found the easyest way to use it was to have 'let windows configure my wireless network' enabled, it is even better with SP2, i would reccomend that you leave it on all the time.

Also it is the only way to enable file & Printer sharing.

KGB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats the problem.
As stated as above, the connection gets dropped when I select the option to let windows configure my wireless network. When I turn it on once so I get online, and turn it off right after that, I stay online for as long as I want, as it should be...

Reaction score
OK, I don't know why widows is not working...

But did the wireless card come with software of its own that can manage the network? (What make of card is it?)

Is your neighbour using SP2? If no, try installing it, if yes try uninstalling it!
SP2 comes with a lot more wireless options and i strongly reccomed that you / your neighbour get(s) it.

KGB

Reaction score
Its an edimax card that comes with its own program to interact between the wireless accesspoint and the laptop itself. Basically it just remembers the encrypted key, and the IP address and stuff.
I cannot install SP2 yet as I have to wait for the official dutch version of it to get released.
The problem was more the fact that I couldn't find the settings that windows 'automatically configures'. I had hoped I could find those, and then set them correct for once and for all, so it would drop every 3 minutes, nor would I have to do the trickey with the turning on and then off again of that setting...
I'll wait for SP2 though :)

Reaction score
I don't know much about your card, i only use Belkin, Netgear, Apple & Intel

What happenes if you leave windows to configere it without turning it off?
Also what happenes if you let edimax configer it without windows?

Otherwise wait for SP2,

then if none of these work all i can sugest is that you plug your modem into the computer and get the laptop to connetc to the computer (Via the access point) and connect that way (Run the wireless network setup wizard that comes with SP2 when you get it)

Or finally send the card back as 'dud' and ask the company for a differant make replacement.

Sorry, if im not that helpful, i just have never heared of this problem before.

KGN

Reaction score
If i leave windows configuring my network turned on, it will drop every 3 minutes, as stated in my first message. Secondly, the edimax program isnt a real network configurer.
It only negotiates for the WEP-key, checks the IP addresses and makes sure the connection succeeds after it's sent its data and got back the right reply (mac address check and so on).

Basically the network works fine after turning on the "let windows configure blahblah" first, and right after that when I get online, I have to turn it off.
The annoying thing however is, everytime I boot the laptop, and want to use the wireless network, I have to go through this ritual to make it work.
Something in the back of my mind tells me there has got to be an easier way to establish this whole connection thing without switching all kinds of options.
There is no other solution that I've stated above, cause the modem from my ISP is already connected to the Desktop computer, and the wireless access point connected to the router from the desktop computer.
I'll still wait for SP2 though, see what kind of extended options that might bring along ;)

cheers

Reaction score
OK, well im out of ideas!

Wait for SP2 (Do you live in holland?)

If that does not work, sorry but i don't think i can help

KGB

Reaction score
Yes I live in Holland :)
And yes I'll wait for SP2.
I am fresh out of ideas myself too.
It works tho, but I'm too lazy to keep turning options on and off and on and off.
Should be ready steady go and stay that way :)

cheers though :)

Reaction score
*update*

Installed SP2 on all comps.
Didn't work out though :(
The connection still gets dropped every 3 minutes.
The not so elegant solution of turning on, and then off the "let windows configure my network" is the only way from preventing it to stop dropping my wireless network.
I dont know why this is happening. So far, nobody seems to be able to have an answer :(

Reaction score
Sorry, i too am out of ideas...

All i can think of, is that it is your card or your card's drivers

Can you update the drivers?

Reaction score
Believe me it's all up to date :)
I'm not saying i'm the guru from high above who knows everything to the last detail about comps, but I know quite alot.
I read something interesting though. Maybe other people who read this and are having the same problem will find it to be a solution, as for myself I havent been able to test it yet.
I heard the authentication is turned on when you install a wireless network, meaning it will identify on the network using the comps own name, for instance, AMD2500.
I heard that if you turn this identification off, it sometimes causes to stop dropping you and identifying you from there on.
So I'll try in the weekend :)

cheers mates.

Reaction score
Just read about it somewhere else :)
Haven't had the chance to test it though :(
I'll update whenever I have the chance :)

Reaction score
it didnt work :(
I'm out of ideas either.
I think I'm going to email the company who made it to see what they have to say.
Other then that it just sucks :(

Ask a Question