Wireless laptop connection....HELP!!

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm having a problem getting my new laptop online wirelessly too!

I have a Linksys WAG354G router and an Acer Inspire 1694WLMi laptop with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Wireless built in.

I have to be honest as this is my first laptop I have no idea what I'm doing!

The laptop sees the network ok but I get so many different outcomes trying to connect to it. For example, the first time I tried to connect to the router it asked for the pass key which I got from the routers set up (is that right?).

At first it would connect (sometimes) but be 'limited'.

Now when I try to connect manually it just sits trying to connect then the dialog box dissapears and suddenly my router's not showing as being detected??!!

The bizarre thing is that if I'm not trying to connect it sometimes (only sometimes) will suddenly connect automatically with full strength and not saying limited. However internet access is not available.

I consider myself rather computer literate but this wireless malarkey is driving me up the wall!

I have Zonealarm and Avast virus software installed and I've tried disabling them first with no joy.

I can connect to the internet fine using ethernet connection to the router.

Any ideas to help this confused person?!!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Geoff.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i think that the router has its own built in firewall, it should say something about it in the manual

Ask a Question