Windows XP Wireless Lan and Hardwired Lan working but no Internet

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help. Just lately one of my laptops will not connect to the Internet, it is a Sony netbook (Windows XP) for the reason of it being small I don't use it much at home just when I go away.

Problem is: Sony Laptop will connect wirelessly to my network, but as soon as I open a browser it shows this page cannot be displayed (Internet Explorer) and Problem with loading page (Firefox). When I try to update my antivirus software it fails the update, now if I hard wire the laptop to my network I still get the same errors with the browsers but I can update my antivirus (Strange). When I look at the activity of the LAN status there is around 100 packets being sent and only 23 packets being received which I know is not right.

I also have a desktop computer Windows XP and a Windows Vista laptop connected to the network and have no problems so it is just the netbook.

I have checked all DHCP settings and all is o.k. I have tried deleting the wireless adapter in Device manager and letting it re-install again no joy. Now I am starting to think I am missing something really simple.

Thanks in advance for all help.
bowdown.gif

Reaction score
Sounds like it could possibly be a dns issue. Best way to test this is find out the public ip of a website (Google = 74.125.53.104). Type that ip address into your web browser and if it connects then you have your problem. Updates for av and gaming servers etc normally use an ip address to connect so dns isnt really required, hence you can update av etc.

Reaction score
JB Compute said:
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help. Just lately one of my laptops will not connect to the Internet, it is a Sony netbook (Windows XP) for the reason of it being small I don't use it much at home just when I go away.

Problem is: Sony Laptop will connect wirelessly to my network, but as soon as I open a browser it shows this page cannot be displayed (Internet Explorer) and Problem with loading page (Firefox). When I try to update my antivirus software it fails the update, now if I hard wire the laptop to my network I still get the same errors with the browsers but I can update my antivirus (Strange). When I look at the activity of the LAN status there is around 100 packets being sent and only 23 packets being received which I know is not right.

I also have a desktop computer Windows XP and a Windows Vista laptop connected to the network and have no problems so it is just the netbook.

I have checked all DHCP settings and all is o.k. I have tried deleting the wireless adapter in Device manager and letting it re-install again no joy. Now I am starting to think I am missing something really simple.

Thanks in advance for all help.
bowdown.gif

Start at the begining and do the simplest yet most overlooked solution and reset your router Normally sorts most problems out and sorted out a problem I wa having which is identical to yours...............

Reaction score
Toräk said:
Sounds like it could possibly be a dns issue. Best way to test this is find out the public ip of a website (Google = 74.125.53.104). Type that ip address into your web browser and if it connects then you have your problem. Updates for av and gaming servers etc normally use an ip address to connect so dns isnt really required, hence you can update av etc.

Erm I have re read this about 15 times now and I can't actually even figure out what you are trying to say........So if he types http://74.125.53.104/ then thats his problem...How is it his problem mate... I quite often type ip addresses insead of site names...Erm I think you are just talking billy bullshit if you want my opinion.....

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Erm I have re read this about 15 times now and I can't actually even figure out what you are trying to say........So if he types http://74.125.53.104/ then thats his problem...How is it his problem mate... I quite often type ip addresses insead of site names...Erm I think you are just talking billy bullshit if you want my opinion.....

Erm. Thanks for your kind words. But the issue reminded me of a problem i had where anytime i tried to visit or ping a website with its address it failed. But if I used the ip address to ping or browse it worked. Same was with gaming or updating certain products, i, in affect had no browsing capability but i could still play online games etc. This was because the dns (domain name resolution) settings on my pc were all ****ed up. Obviously, dns isnt importatant when there is no domain name to resolve. So some update sites/game servers will work as you are connecting to them with a numeric ip address.

Was just a thought and I was trying to help the guy. Obviously that is frowned upon at this site as i got ribbed for it. ,,|,,

Reaction score
Toräk said:
Was just a thought and I was trying to help the guy. Obviously that is frowned upon at this site as i got ribbed for it. ,,|,,

Nah ya didn't get ribbed, and everybodies thoughts are taken into account. I just work on the principle that when you have a problem like that, just start with the simplest of things and reset the router. If that doesn't solve it, then go onto other methods....

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help, I have done the following and still have the problem

Hi,

I restarted the router.

I updated all drivers etc still no joy. So I thought if I re-install windows again this has to sort the problem out NO :(

Now I can access the Internet via ethernet, but when I go to use wireless it will still connect to my network but still no Internet.

Anymore ideas thanks for all your help

Ask a Question