Wireless keeps losing config

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Deployment' started by Gerry Hickman, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I built a new Win2k laptop. It's a Dell D600 with "Centrino", which
    basically means it's got some Intel chips inside. The drivers for the
    Wireless NIC are from Intel, and so is the control panel app called
    "ProSET".

    I set all this up, fired up ProSET as the local admin, set up the
    wireless connection and everything works as expected.

    I then decide to test a different user "just in case". Guess what, the
    wireless config was missing and all I get is a warning on the taskbar
    saying "Cable Disconnected". What the hell? It seems connections are
    "per user"?? I'm getting worried at this point. I go to Intel's site and
    all I can find are documents claiming how great it is that connections
    are "per user"! I read their guide, and can't believe what they expect
    the end-user to go through to get a connection.

    I then notice there's a tab on the WLAN connection itself, where you can
    set the SSID of a network. For a minute, I'm thinking I have solved it.
    I disable Intel's ProSET, enter my info to this new tab and everything
    looks fine. I reboot the machine. Guess what? All the settings have gone!

    I tried a few scripts to copy WLAN profiles to user profiles when they
    log on, it didn't work (unless they log off and then back on again). I
    tried Intel's WLAN profile import feature, but could not get it to work
    automatically.

    I'm out of ideas. This is a laptop for a seminar room, it will have
    dozens of local and domain users logging on and they expect the wireless
    stuff to "just work".

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Gerry Hickman, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Gerry Hickman

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Something to try. Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select the profile you
    just setup (while logged on as another user with local administrative
    rights), Copy To, Browse to
    %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
    Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Hi Dave,

    > Something to try. Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select the profile you
    > just setup (while logged on as another user with local administrative
    > rights), Copy To, Browse to
    > %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
    > Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK

    A few days ago, I tried something similar, in that I used Windows
    Explorer to copy the WLANProfiles folder into \Default User while logged
    on as local Administrator (this account had the settings I wanted), but
    when I logged in as a different user, it didn't seem to pick up these
    settings. I've made a note of your text above for future testing.

    I've "kind of" solved it in the mean time, in that I noticed ProSET
    loads an exe file called zCfgSvc.exe even when the main ProSET program
    is disabled from loading in the HKLM\...\Run key, not sure how it does
    this, but I uninstalled ProSET all together, and now I can enter an SSID
    for the Wireless NIC from within "Network and dial-up Connections", and
    guess what - it works for every user!

    The main downside is that I've lost the nice ProSET taksbar icon that
    shows the signal strength, and obviously this method would be useless
    for multiple WLANS, but for my situation where we only have one WLAN and
    totally non-technical users, it's probably a good solution...

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Gerry Hickman, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Gerry Hickman