    you need to turn this option on? I can't seem to find any settings to do
    this.

    Thanks.

    Kyle, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Hi, Kyle -

    My suggestion is to remove your work wireless network
    from the 'Preferred networks' area in the wireless
    connection's properties. This will allow you to
    automagically connect to your home network but will
    require you to manually connect to the WLAN at your
    office.

    Hope this helps -

    my office as well.
    >When at home, i use the wireless exclusively, but at

    work, I plug into a
    >network; however, my wireless connection is always

    choosen, even though it
    >is the slower connection. I understood that XP would

    select the best
    >connection if 2 were available. Now, I have to disable

    my wireless
    >connection everytime I come to work, and then re-enable

    it at home.

    >Is there a way to tell XP to pick the best possible, or

    is there some where

    allan grossman [mvp], Apr 27, 2004

  3. In article <ekf#>, "Kyle"
    <> wrote:
    >I have a wireless network both at home and we have on at my office as well.
    >When at home, i use the wireless exclusively, but at work, I plug into a
    >network; however, my wireless connection is always choosen, even though it
    >is the slower connection. I understood that XP would select the best
    >connection if 2 were available. Now, I have to disable my wireless
    >connection everytime I come to work, and then re-enable it at home.
    >
    >Is there a way to tell XP to pick the best possible, or is there some where
    >you need to turn this option on? I can't seem to find any settings to do
    >this.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Assign a metric to each network connection, giving the wired
    connection a lower value than the wireless connection.

    To assign a metric to a network connection:

    1. Open the Network Connections folder.
    2. Right click the desired connection.
    3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    4. Click Properties | Advanced.
    5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
    6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Apr 28, 2004