Wireless: Cannot connect to gateway

Reaction score
I need to be able to connect to the gateway with my laptop.
The gateway is 192.1681.254 as confirmed by ipconfig.
When I put that in firefox, says connection was reset = not connecting.
I was previously able to connect to it without any problem for administration.
Also my wireless internet was and continues to function perfectly.
I am using XP and I though maybe the TCPIP settings could have changed so I downloaded WinSock repair, and still the same issue after it reset all the settings.
I doesn't work through Internet Explorer 8 either.
I'm pretty good at troubleshooting, but I don't quite know how to troubleshoot this matter effectively without spending hours at it. I don't have physical access to this gateway.

Any suggestions? It I don't think theres a gateway setting to block access unless there is a mac filter that would prevent from connecting to the gateway completely, but I thought it would still connect and simply deny internet which I have working so cant be mac filter and must be some setting in XP.

Reaction score
I would start by turning off any firewalls. Then try connecting with an ethernet cable to rule out any wireless issues.

Reaction score
Lol, was crossing my figures that it wasn't the windows firewall configuration which I didn't check; can be such newb sometimes. Anyways its not, turned it off, no improvement. Nothing wrong with my wireless, since like I said I get the internet no problem, just trying to reach the gateway interface via wireless; of course i can do it by plugging in ethernet cable but tha'ts not the problem.. Anyways thx for reply, I'll probably re-install OS and if I have the same problem, I'll figure out and post it here. Ironically, very few have discussed this kind of problem.

Reaction score
If you can get to it on a wire but not wireless, try updating your wireless driver. Also, I'd try reseting the router before wiping the computer.

Reaction score
The Problem was someone disabled remote administrator. So you couldn't access it wirelessly.
Plug in the Ethernet, see the username and password prompt, try the manufacturer default fails so I know someone also password protected it. Physically resetting the router solved the problem. So it has nothing to with XP registry settings. I use a highly modified ISO, I can tell you if you have this problem and your wireless works, it has nothing to do with your settings.

Now, during my investigation, I discovered something interesting, wirelessly my download speed more or less topped at the maximum, but my upload speed was limited to about 20 kilobytes per second, out of the total 80 kilobytes per second. Now I plug in the router, and my upload speed tops at 80 kilobytes per second. Also note when wireless tested, right beside router, so excellent 5 stable signal bars. The router is TG858v8, it has one antenna.

First question, can MAC filtering globally limit upload speed?
Second, can the upload speed be weak simply because so many devices are connected to the router (I am implying that they are using next to no upload speed, and that simply the shear amount 10+ connected device limits it)? After all, I was right beside the router.

Ask a Question