WinXP how to receive fax with PC wakeup and auto forward as email

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Fax' started by glnz, Jan 17, 2009.

  1. glnz

    glnz Guest

    Ok - here's a challenge for you all: How do I set up my Win XP Pro SP3 PC at
    home so that when a fax comes in on my fax phone line that goes to a
    modemcard in the PC, it wakes up the PC, the PC receives the fax and then the
    PC forwards it automatically by email to two or three pre-designated email
    recipients?

    To make this worse, I'm not sure what I mean by "wake up" the PC. I
    understand there are varied levels of reduced power consumption, and I'm not
    sure how low I can go so that the PC is still "wakeable" fast enough to
    receive the fax. On this score, I might be a bit ahead of the game because
    the PC is a newish Dell Optiplex 755 with built-in ASF and (if I turn it back
    on) AMT. (I don't know what ASF or AMT mean, although they sort of sound like
    a cup of coffee for a PC at rest.)

    On this PC, I prefer to use MS Outlook Express for email although I could
    turn on my Outlook if strictly necessary or install a different email
    program. (I have Outlook Express 6 and Outlook 2003. I could try to install
    Outlook 2000, but I'd rather not.)

    Can you tell I'm somewhere between a newbie and a home intermediate? Please
    do throw technical lingo at me, but I'll need it translated into English and
    then granular step-by-step instructions.

    Thanks!

    glnz, Jan 17, 2009

  2. Not supported.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jan 17, 2009

  3. glnz

    glnz Guest

    Re: WinXP how to receive fax with PC wakeup and auto forward as em

    Mr. Valentine: After a fax comes in and shows in the Inbox of MS Fax Console
    5.1, I can right-click it and "mail it" manually, currently by Outlook
    Express . No way to automate this? Thanks.

    glnz, Jan 17, 2009
  4. Re: WinXP how to receive fax with PC wakeup and auto forward as em

    No on all counts:
    1. You can't use forward with faxes. You have to Open the fax then Print it
    to your fax printer and generate a new fax.
    2. You can't automate forwarding with a rule.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q191/7/76.asp
    3. You can't configure XP Fax to wake the computer on ring to receive a fax.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jan 17, 2009
  5. glnz

    successful

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2009