    back to having "Administrator" be my username, with all the accumulated
    settings & such.

    Is there a way?

    Guest, Feb 26, 2005

    Gordon Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've used my PC with WinXP Pro as "Administrator" for >12 months.

    Well that's VERY bad practice. If the Administrator account had got
    corrupted, you would have had NO way to access your machine except by a
    repair install of XP

    > This past week I set up accounts for my kids on this PC. I rebooted it
    > today, and now my Administrator account no longer comes up as an option in
    > the logon screen.

    At the welcome Screen, press Ctl-Alt-Del twice. The W2K style log-on box
    should appear. Type in "administrator" (without the quotes) as the User and
    use whatever password you set up.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Gordon, Feb 26, 2005

    OK. So I've got 2 issues. You've resolved one of them for me.

    Can I migrate the settings for my administrator user to another user, so I'm
    no longer using the 'VERY bad practice' you speak of?

    Thank you,
    Ron

    Guest, Feb 26, 2005

    Mike Kolitz Guest

    Hi Ron,

    Yes, you can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save all of your
    documents and settings and transfer them to another account.

    FAST is located at Start / [All] Programs / Accessories / System Tools

    --
    Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
    MS-MVP - Windows Setup / Deployment

    Mike Kolitz, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Ron wrote:
    > I've used my PC with WinXP Pro as "Administrator" for >12 months.
    >
    > This past week I set up accounts for my kids on this PC. I rebooted it
    > today, and now my Administrator account no longer comes up as an option in
    > the logon screen. I have another username that I've assigned admin authority
    > to, but now I have to dig about in Documents and Settings & Program Files to
    > find documents and programs formerly available on my (former) admin desktop
    > and such.
    >
    > It won't let me delete all the new users I created. I don't see a way to go
    > back to having "Administrator" be my username, with all the accumulated
    > settings & such.
    >
    > Is there a way?

    As you've learned, once any additional user accounts have been
    created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on the
    Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design, the
    only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

    The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be
    used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
    set a strong password on it and use it only to create another account
    for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door"
    in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

    A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
    for your daily use, as you say you've done, and copy desired the files
    and settings from the Administrator account to this newly created user
    profile.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Feb 26, 2005
  6. "Ron" <> wrote in message
    > I've used my PC with WinXP Pro as "Administrator" for >12 months.
    >
    > This past week I set up accounts for my kids on this PC. I rebooted it
    > today, and now my Administrator account no longer comes up as an option in
    > the logon screen. I have another username that I've assigned admin
    > authority
    > to, but now I have to dig about in Documents and Settings & Program Files
    > find documents and programs formerly available on my (former) admin
    > desktop
    > and such.
    >
    > It won't let me delete all the new users I created. I don't see a way to
    > go
    > back to having "Administrator" be my username, with all the accumulated
    > settings & such.
    >
    > Is there a way?

    That adminstrator (the default account) should only be used in emergencies.
    You need to have created a user account with admin priviledges to use on a
    day to day basis.

    Andrew Murray, Feb 27, 2005