Wine In Restaurants

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just read THIS

At last someone talking sense about wine in restaurants. All wines, even the cheapest, are a rip off and I agree, a lot of guff is talked about wine. I have just about always bought the cheapest or second cheapest on the grounds that there are very few poor wines nowadays and once you get chatting the taste of the wine is usually forgotten (unless it is foul). :)

Anyone ever bought the most expensive one on the list? ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score

Hell no! :lol:

I'm not a snob about wine, I like most things. Not keen on anything too sweet, unless it's to go with a dessert, but other than that I'm easy to please. I never have a problem ordering cheap bottles :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just read THIS

Never.

My sister gave me a few bottles of red wine she'd received as gifts a few years ago as she only likes white wine. All these bottles of wine cost between £20 & £30 each.

Could I tell the difference?

Yes I could :D They all tasted very nice indeed and made me appreciate why my £4 bottle of Beaujolais only cost £4.

If I may recommend a couple: M & S sell 1 litre bottles of Italian red and white for less than £8 a bottle, both, in my opinion, very acceptable.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I know the wines I like, if I ever have the spare cash to buy a wine for home, it's usually not that expensive.

As for a restaurant, it's house wine, never had one I've had to send back that wasn't 'corked'. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
OK so no-one buys the most expensive wine but how many of you buy the second cheapest? :)

Seems that lots of people do, not wishing to be seen as tight fisted. But, I've just read a piece which states that restaurants know that people buy the second cheapest so they place their worst wines there in order to get rid of them. :D

So, do you now go for the cheapest or the third cheapest? :D

Reaction score
I am a whiskey drinker but my better half is the wine drinker she likes sparkling red and that she buys in Tesco and probably next to the cheapest.:cheers:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity: what's "the multiplier" (i.e. how many times more expensive the same bottle of wine tends to be in a restaurant vs. in a store) in the UK these days.

Between 4 and 5 here. UNGH.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd guess the multiplier would be about 3/4 in a nice restaurant in the UK - a house wine may cost £20, with many in the £30/40 range - but the higher end ones would be around £60-80 (with the occasional very expensive one beyond that).

I should add that we live in "The North" (where we eat coal and drink bovril), so prices may be a bit higher down south ;).

I have to admit, I would often buy the 2nd cheapest on a menu unless I had a particular choice in mind - so I'll be aware that restaurants know that everyone does this now :lol:.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity: what's "the multiplier" (i.e. how many times more expensive the same bottle of wine tends to be in a restaurant vs. in a store) in the UK these days.

Between 4 and 5 here..

At least 3 and even 3.5 - 4 in some places.

I have to admit that the most expensive second cheapest bottle of wine I ever bought was £51 :eek: (I think the cheapest was £50). It was however a very special occasion and it was at Raffles in Singapore, where you cannot get a bottle of wine in any restaurant for less than £25.

For my fish main course I was asked if I wanted one fillet or two. Thankfully I opted for two because each fillet was about 6cm x 3cm.;)

:D

Reaction score
I'd guess the multiplier would be about 3/4 in a nice restaurant in the UK - a house wine may cost £20, with many in the £30/40 range - but the higher end ones would be around £60-80 (with the occasional very expensive one beyond that).

I should add that we live in "The North" (where we eat coal and drink bovril), so prices may be a bit higher down south ;).

Hay Ian go steady about the coal we had coal fields here in Kent and very proud of them we were.

The Kent Coalfield was a coalfields located in the eastern part of the English county of Kent. The Coalfields Trust defines the Kent Coalfield as the wards of Barnham Downs and Marshside in the Canterbury district, and the wards of Aylesham, Eastry, Eythorne & Shepherdswell, Middle Deal & Sholden, Mill Hill and North Deal in the Dover district.[1]

Coal was discovered in the area in 1890 while borings for an early Channel Tunnel project were taking place and the resultant Shakespeare colliery lasted until 1915. In 1911, investigation into whether there was coal or not was planned. Six ‘bore holes’ were put down in search of coal (the locations were Rushbourne, Hoads Wood in Sturry, Herne Bay, Reculver, Chitty (which is near Chislet) and Chislet Park – which is near the future site of Hersden). In the early years many collieries were sunk but failed and the East Kent Light Railway was built to exploit the anticipated business.

Extensive plans had been drawn up by 1914 for major coal exploitation in east Kent, and the coalfield expanded rapidly in the late 1920s and early 1930s, with its maximum output reached in 1936.[2] The outbreak of war and disappointing test results eventually resulted in only four collieries surviving: Betteshanger, Chislet, Snowdown and Tilmanstone. Had coal been more easily accessible, the open, rural landscape of east Kent could have changed beyond recognition.

With the closing of the last of the four Mines in the 1970's this led to the ex miners not finding work and many of the surrounding mining villages having high unemployment even today.

Reaction score
Going off subject, did you know we exported most of our coal to Germany, there was a aerial coal line going down to Dover Eastern docks which supplied bulk coal boats which supplied Germany right up the decoration of war for WW2. Don't know whether ever got payed for the last shipments though.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, if we're doing stereotypes ...................................................

Stereo.JPG

:D

Ask a Question