Windows 7 Windows7 Remote Desktop Web Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been googling for Remote Desktop Web Connection in recent days, but I still have not found my solution. I actually see some posts in other forums, where they are having similar problem as what I am in now, but unfortunately without a solution though.

Below is detailed illustration of my problem of Remote Desktop Web Connection.

I have a desktop computer at home (referred as HomePC) running 32Bit Windows 7 Ultimate. What I am trying to do now is to setup the HomePC to be accessible from anywhere through a web browser. Please see below for details as how I have already configured the HomePC and its' network configurations.

1. I have set the Windows features as below picture:
p.aspx

2. I downloaded the TSWebSetup.exe from Microsoft and installed it on the HomePC. The TSWeb Folder is generated automatically.
p.aspx

3. In IIS7, it shows the site is started. All other IIS configurations are left default, I have not touch any IIS setting yet.
p.aspx

4. HomePC is behind a D-Link Router (DI-624+A), with private IP 192.168.0.100. I have configured port forwarding to HomePC as followings:
p.aspx

5. Windows Firewall is turned off. (Note: AVG Internet Security 8.5 is installed on HomePC)
p.aspx

6. Since I am having a dynamic IP from my service provider, I use free DDNS service and registered my free domain. DDNS Client software has installed on HomePC. with this free DDNS, I have been connecting to HomePC from the Remote Desktop Client of my Laptop without any problem, as long as connecting to HomePC via VPN. (assuming my free domain as "mydomain.com")

6. Now, I test it in my Laptop (running 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate too), Internet Explorer 8. In the address bar, I type "http://mydomain.com/TSWeb/". The following page appear.
p.aspx

7. In the Server text box, I type private IP of the HomePC, which is 192.168.0.100. Size of the screen left default, which is full screen. I then click the connect button.
p.aspx

8. Right after clicking the connect button, this windows pop up. I left this windows as it is, and then click the connect button.
p.aspx

9. Internet Explorer shows a blank page after clicking the connect button. In approximately 30 seconds time, the following error message appeared.
p.aspx

10. I also tried clicking the connect button with the server text box left blank, it then gives another error message as below picture, right after I click the connect button as in illustration no.8, without the 30 seconds connecting time as in illustration no.9.
p.aspx

After many tries here and there, and many googling over the internet for many days, I still stuck here. I guess that I am already near to the connection, but just don't know what I have left out.

Anyone who has successfully connected via Remote Desktop Web Connection please share your experiences, and I certainly appreciate helps from you.

Thank you very much in advanced.

lohyitchun (John)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi John, welcome to the forums and thanks for the detailed explanation :)

What happens if you try to connect to your desktop using the internal IP to access TSweb from your laptop? Also, can you RDP in to the machine fine using "mstsc"?

Reaction score
I finally solve the problem and it is working now

I have solve the problem finally, by changing the setting in the computer properties, remote setting as below picture. 3rd option (more secure) option was selected yesterday. It works after I select the 2nd option (less secure). Also, I clicked select users button, and designate my user account as the user who allowed to connect.

I hope this will help those who have same problem like me.

Thanks everyone.

p.aspx

Reaction score
I forgot to add, now, I manage to connect by leaving the Server text box empty. If I fill in HomePC's private IP (192.168.0.100) it won't connect, it will pop up the same error again.

p.aspx

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think you can connect to Private IP's like that via TSWeb, as you're from a remote location.

As long as it works when you're empty then that's the main thing :). Thanks for reporting back with the fix. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question