    pictures in five second interviews. Is there a way to prevent the continuous
    loops, e.g. after showing the last picture in the folder, the slideshow ends
    instead of looping back to first picture and starting over? TIA.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2004

    John Inzer Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > By default, the Windows XP slideshow continously loops
    > through a set of pictures in five second interviews. Is
    > there a way to prevent the continuous loops, e.g. after
    > showing the last picture in the folder, the slideshow
    > ends instead of looping back to first picture and
    > starting over? TIA.

    ==============================
    The freeware IrfanView may be useful to you:

    Download IrfanView 3.95
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html
    (get the plug-ins too)

    Once you have the program installed...open it
    and go to...File / Slideshow...

    Open the "Look In" drop window and select the
    folder that contains the images you wish to view.

    Click the "Add All" button in the left pane.

    Click the "Advanced Options" button and check...
    "Stop slideshow and close IrfanView after the last
    image" / OK.

    If you do not wish to see the file names during
    the slideshow...uncheck..."Show Text" in the
    bottom right of the screen.

    Also, you may want to place a check in the:
    "Hide mouse cursor" box.

    Click the "Play " button in the left pane.

    There are many more options to explore but this
    should get you started.

    --

    John Inzer
    Picture It! MVP

    Picture It! Support Center
    http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

    Digital Image Support Center
    http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg

    John Inzer, Nov 15, 2004

    Thanks much for your response. I already have Irfan, which is a great
    program. I was wondering if there was a way I could do the same thing
    (ending the continuous loop when running a slideshow) from within native
    Windows XP, e.g., by means of a registry hack or other setting that I could
    change manually. Assuming that the answer is no, what other good programs
    exist (including especially any good Microsoft programs), regardless of cost,
    that do the same thing that Irfan does? TIA.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2004

    John Inzer Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > Thanks much for your response. I already have Irfan,
    > which is a great program. I was wondering if there was
    > a way I could do the same thing (ending the continuous
    > loop when running a slideshow) from within native Windows
    > XP, e.g., by means of a registry hack or other setting
    > that I could change manually. Assuming that the answer
    > is no, what other good programs exist (including
    > especially any good Microsoft programs), regardless of
    > cost, that do the same thing that Irfan does? TIA.

    ====================================
    I'm not aware of a registry hack that will prevent
    the WinXP slide show from looping. That's why I
    thought IrfanView might be useful since it does
    exactly what you requested.

    John Inzer, Nov 16, 2004

    Yves Alarie Guest

    Pressing the Esc key will do it when you see the beginning of the same
    pictures again. Not a big deal, really. After all, you are looking at the
    pictures, you can see when the same pictures start again. No?

    Yves Alarie, Nov 16, 2004