    My guess is that it may be a result of a recent update, either for XP or
    possibly Norton 2007
    Can anybody help?

    Guest, Jul 26, 2007

    Snoopy07, have you tryed to use your system restore utility? If you think
    your "slow down" is from a recent update you could set your system restore
    date to a time prior to that update.You mighy try turning off your Norton
    when you are offline, Norton is a memory hog and if you don't have enough RAM
    to support it, things will run slow.
    --
    Ralph, the fifty year old student

    Guest, Jul 26, 2007

    Ralph, no I have not tried restore, but do not see it as a solution even the
    problem is caused by an update, as both Windows Update and Norton Update will
    soon put it back as it was unless both are permanently switched off.
    Can't see how I can switch off Norton as broadband is always connected.
    I do agree that Norton is a memory hog and slows things down, but files open
    in normal time, with Norton checks, provide I do not use the recently used
    file list.

    Anyone any further thoughts?

    Guest, Jul 26, 2007

    Snoopy07;
    Do you get a "program not responding" error message while you are waiting
    for your file to open? I had a simular situation as you described and would
    get that message during the delay. I also thought the problem came from an
    update as it began shortly after I had let Microsoft load updates. I did a
    system restore, I also went to the add/remove program in control panel and
    removed a bunch of junk that I did not use (programs that came with this
    computer) I also added some RAM to this computer and have not had that
    problem since.
    If you save your files to a different location (like maybe my documents)
    instead of the recently used files, do you have the same problem?

    Guest, Jul 26, 2007

    Ralph,

    No, I do not get program not responding.
    I have not knowingly done any updates, only those that get downloaded from
    Microsoft & Norton automatically.
    Files are all saved in My Documents and open fine if I open Word or Excel
    first and then do file open.
    The problem is when I try to open them from the XP start menu, using
    "Documents", which contains shortcuts to recently used files, which in turn I
    think are stored by XP in the hidden folder "C:\Documents and
    Settings\Owner\My Recent Documents"
    When files are opened this way I get the impression that Norton may be
    taking a long time between scanning Excel/Word in the background and then
    scanning the file. If I open the files from Win Explorer, Excel/Word opens
    quickly but there is then a delay before Norton start scanning the file.
    I'll keep experimenting and hope.

    Guest, Jul 27, 2007

    Snoopy07;
    Do you think that your "recent documents" folder could have gotten corrupt
    in the process of loading an update? If it did then your restore utility may
    help. you sound reluctant to use this, It's fairly safe to use, you won't
    loose anything you created and it may restore the settings on that folder, I
    still think it may be worth a try. It has worked for me in the past.
    Good luck.

    Guest, Jul 28, 2007

    I searched the web for another little problem of a file not responding on
    closedown - MCCWSAWindow - and found that this was caused by a recent, no
    choice, install of a an update to BT Desktop Help (ISP on line help program).
    There were reports of this causing a lot of problems despite BT saying
    otherwise. As suggested I uninstalled it and guess what - my recent documents
    works perfectly again as well as no problem on closedown. PC is also
    generally much faster without it.

    Guest, Jul 29, 2007